Hatchery chicks versus actual day-olds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by UrbanEnthusiast, Apr 9, 2016.

1. UrbanEnthusiast

UrbanEnthusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    Port Orford, Oregon
    Yesterday I went to a local brooder and bought three chicks who had just hatched a few hours prior. In the past I have only bought chicks from the feed store after they'd been shipped a very long way, so this is my first time with actual day-old chicks. They're Egyptian Fayoumis, a breed that is extremely alert and active, yet I'm a bit worried because they're sleeping pretty much all the time. They run like heck as soon as I approach the brooder, and they're already getting difficult to hold in one hand when I wipe their butts because they squirm so much, but other than that, it's pretty much just sleeping. I haven't even seen much eating and drinking today. Is it just normal for chicks this young to sleep all the time?

[​IMG]

2. Lady M

Lady M Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2014
    Central Washington
    If I recall correctly they still (for the first day or two) can survive off the yolk absorbed for directly after hatching. Crossing fingers for you!

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Quite normal. Just like all new babies, they sleep a lot the first few days. When my broodies hatch, I might not even see the chicks for the first 2-3 days. They stay tucked under her, absorbing the remains of their yolks. Very cute chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by