Hatchery chicks with a Broody Hen

Margot

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Paw Paw, MI
I'm getting 6 chicks from in a few days from an larger order at my feed store. I've got everything ready for them and thought....I have a couple of broody hens that are excellent mommas. They sit all day long in the next box's. (I take the eggs)

So can I put one of them in with the chicks? Would they take care of them? Just thought it might be easier than trying to get the correct light and temperature, etc.

thanks gang!

Margot

I did the exact same thing this week...worked wonderful.
To begin with, I made a special secluded nest for the broody hen separated from the big girl flock...set two eggs under her. Two days later, I placed (during the dark of the night) 8 - two day old chicks under her...after I removed the two eggs. She accepted them...they accepted her. They are a happy family now. I watch them several times a day...she is starting to peck at the floor of the coop...making clucking sounds...calling the chicks to eat...teaching them the ways of big chickens... Be sure to construct a barrier between the chicks / mom and the flock...otherwise, she will be in a twit...protecting them from danger. Good luck.

Good! I will move her out of the general population and just leave her egg with her tomorrow. Then Tuesday make the switch. That little bandy hen wants to me a momma so bad. I just hate taking her eggs. She'll be happy come Tuesday. Plus she can keep them warm.

Do you think I will still need a light? I'm here in Michigan days in the 50-70's evenings 35-50. They will be in a coop that does stay warm. (I have 25 chickens in there) I'm going to put her and them in a metal horse trough (small 4') with shavings.

Margot

Back
Top Bottom