hatchery chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by samandmike, Feb 7, 2009.

1. samandmike

samandmike Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    I am trying to find out if anyone knows if I order chicks from a hatchery if they all come from the same parents

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Probably not. They mix and match. But you do have the possibility of getting some brothers and sisters.

3. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    they will not come from all the same parents, a couple chicks may have the same father, but even most will have different mothers.

4. samandmike

Feb 5, 2009
    does it matter if when they breed if they are brother and sister or any other relation

5. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Quote:Also interested in this, good question

vortec

6. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    i dont know what happen if you breed brother and sistwer, but you can breed son to mother and father to daughter, this produces very good birds. But again i dont know about brother and sister, they would probably be fine since you can breed offspring to parents

7. samandmike

Feb 5, 2009
    thank you,you have been very helpful again:)

8. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    So I am guessing the whole gene thing isn't a problem with chickens? You know the blood line thing..... I think that is weird! Am I the only one? Are birds the only animal that is like that? I know that dogs will get really bad issues if they have the same blood line.

9. samandmike

Feb 5, 2009
    we were wondering the same thing or if we should order from a different hatchery and how does that work with turkeys

10. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Do the math they hatch 500- 1000 chicks of the same breed in one week .1 roo to 10 hens. In order to produce this many eggs you need 100 to 200 hens and 10-20 roos. I am not good at odds but the same dad is more likely than the same mom. The bigger the hatchery the lower the odds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by