Hatchery Choice chicks... anyone have a guess?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Pinx, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Pinx

Pinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Amarillo, Texas
    Well my 2 year old nephew talked me into getting more chicks while I was picking up my ducks. He sure didn't have to work hard at it lol.

Anyway he picked 2 black chicks (don't know what they are either), and I picked 2 of these odd colored chicks just because I had never seen chicks their color and I was curious.

The odd colored chicks are the chicks I want to find out what breed they are mainly. They came out of a hatchery choice bantam bin. They are clean legged, and have 4 toes. The pictures don't show the color well but they are a mix of blue, grey, and red. With white spots on their heads.

My camera always wants to focus on everything but the chicks so some pics aren't as clear as I want them to be, but hopefully you can get a good idea. The last picture best shows the actual color of the chicks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So there they are. I think the white spots on their head are what is throwing me the most. In the picture above to the left is a golden laced Polish Bantam and to the right is a Golden neck d'uccle, for color reference.

I'm going to go work out in the yard and I'll be back in about an hour or 2 to check this thread, hopefully someone knows exactly what this is. Thanks for looking.

Edited to change the toe count lol, I was going by the pictures and apparently I missed one.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

I am just throwing a guess out there since I'm not really sure but they could be an Old English Bantam, not sure of the color either maybe Crele?

3. Pinx

May 18, 2011
    Amarillo, Texas
    My feed store (where I got the chicks) orders from privett hatchery... so I thought I would list all of the clean legged bantams that they offer that might have chicks this color and maybe that will help narrow it down some. I've looked at the pictures of chicks that they show on their website and none of them are dead ringers for my chicks... so I'll post the breeds of what they offer that I'm not sure on the variations of what the chicks look like.. but going by the pictures they could be close.

Ameraucana
    Barred Rock
    BB Red Old English
    Black Breasted Red Dutch
    Blue Breasted Red Old English
    Blue Dutch
    Blue Rosecomb
    Buff Sebright
    Crele Old English

The also have a Hatchery choice Old English Bantam deal that offers:
    Black Breasted Red, Blue, Blue Red, Black, Crele, Red Pyle, Silver Duckwing, Self Blue, and Spangled Old English Bantam varieties. They don't sell most of these by themselves only in the hatchery choice.

Or a Hatchery Choice Dutch Bantam deal:
    Blue Slash, Black, White, Barred, Black-Tailed Buff, Silver, Crele, Porcelain, Millie Fleur, Golden Duckwing, and Light Brown. Most of these are also only in Hatchery choice.

4. Pinx

May 18, 2011
    Amarillo, Texas

Your guess is better then mine. I'm not good at all at looking at chicks and knowing what it is/could be. Especially since I prefer the bantams with feathers on their feet and legs lol.

5. chicken241

chicken241 Out Of The Brooder

it looks like crele roosters (just saying i could be wrong about the breed) its not hens if its crele cause hens are tan with a dark back i breed crele the roosters i get are the best and sweetest

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I don't have bantams, but I too would guess Crele Old English bantam.

7. Pinx

May 18, 2011
    Amarillo, Texas
    Thanks guys! 3 out of 3 for crele sounds like pretty good odds to me lol. Stinks I picked out roosters though, oh well. Just thought they were cool looking and had to get them, I knew BYC could tell me what they were.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by