Hatchery Choice, what are they???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Coop de Grille, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I ordered 15 of the Hatchery Choice Assorted Pullets from Cackle hatchery. I got 16 in the box and have no clue what any of them could be, and there is no paper inside giving me the breeds.

I have five of these:

[​IMG]

This one has a lot of white on the chest compared to the other four:

[​IMG]

There are five of these little yellow ones with a light chipmunk look on their back:

[​IMG]

There are five that look like this:

[​IMG]

This one is all black and unlike any of the other ones, this is the extra chick that was sent:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm not even going to try to guess. Those are a random assortment they had left after they filled their pullet orders. Cackle offers a lot of different breeds and colors. Those could be anything.

I've dealt with Cackle before. You may get a rooster or two in the mix since vent sexing is not 100% accurate. That's just the breaks. But don't automatically assume the 16th chick is a rooster. When I ordered from them, I got an extra chick and it was a pullet. I expect they had extras and just gave you an extra out of a pullet bin in case one died during shipment. Since they are extras, it did not cost them anything to give you and extra pullet t and it may make you a little happier.

But I think congratulations are in order. I think you will enjoy them.

3. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    As long as they all turn out to be the pullets I ordered I will be very happy lol.. I have enough older roos at the moment.

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Your little white ones with chipmunk stripes are Red Sex-Links, the mostly caramel colored ones are Production Reds, the black one may be a Black Sex Link, and the black and white one is a bit of a mystery. Most likely your extra is a male (hatcheries love to offload extra males into orders), I would hazzard a guess that it may be some sort of barred breed.

Hope that helps. Quite a cute assortment you have!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by