Hatchery Confusion and Frustration...

audy5000g

Songster
8 Years
Feb 6, 2013
I have searched the Internet and asked many what hatchery is the best for healthy poultry. Poultry that are of great stock (whatever that means), poultry that will grow healthy and overall just be the best ever.

Well the answers completely contradict each other. Some love one and hate another and then others love the one hated and hate the one loved. AHHHHH!
barnie.gif

It's like who likes Pepsi and who likes Coke all over again. I'm a Pepsi girl. Coke, ick!

I have come to the conclusion that McMurray is a no-go. Well, I have ordered twice and I liked them for their birds. But what do I know, I am no professional. Most say they have bad stock and don't take care of the birds. And I did seem to get way too many roosters with my mix.

Ideal seemed great, but it seemed like they only like them because you can buy a smaller amount at a time. I ordered last year and they really messed up my order. Instead of 4 Emden Geese, I received 2 Emden, 1 Toulouse and 1 Sabestapool. I had no clue till the fair. When I told them this year, they kind of sounded as if I was crazy. Well we shall see what I get tomorrow. lol

Many seem to like Cackle saying that the birds seem to be healthier. But then I find so many bad reviews about many dying and the company doing nothing to make it better.

Good Grief, What is a girl to do. I know of no one around here that are local breeders.

Ok, my rant is over now

I have been happy with All of these at one time or another...
McMurray was where I ordered my first birds back in 98, exactly what I ordered and All lived.
I have ordered from Ideal a LOT and have been happy for most orders, I have had several crippled show up I orders, and a couple of times I had 1/2 and 1/4 box DOA but they happily refunded.
I was also happy with Welp with my current chicks DRIR, BR and EEs, other than the 3 DOA they have thrived, and they refunded with no issue on the DOAs. So unless you want show birds (And I think Welp sells those for $40 each) I think they are all about the same. Pepsi/Coke...I prefer Royal Crown Cola but Im a rebel... They cant control the post office and how they are treated en route but if they happily refund it makes them pretty good business to deal with.
I still have a few more hatcheries to try myself....BTW the BEST chicks are the ones I hatch at home!

Happy chick hunting!

Here's a changer get chicks from a good breeder and not a hatchery.. I used to order from hatcheries they there quality's are horrible, there small, colors are off, etc.

Until one day I said "forget this" and I placed an order to an well known breeder Duane Urch he has many breeds to choose. My chicks are coming in April. You spend more you get what you paid for.

Here's a changer get chicks from a good breeder and not a hatchery.. I used to order from hatcheries they there quality's are horrible, there small, colors are off, etc.

Until one day I said "forget this" and I placed an order to an well known breeder Duane Urch he has many breeds to choose. My chicks are coming in April. You spend more you get what you paid for.
I am fine with spending more but no clue how to find a breeder.

I am fine with spending more but no clue how to find a breeder.
People here can help, but we need to know a few things. Where are you located? What breeds are you looking for? Do you want chicks? Started birds? Eggs?

Duane Urch does indeed have many good varieties. Unfortunately some are already sold out for the season (the ones I was interested in of course). He does offer assortments if you aren't particular about what breeds you receive. They are straight run though, most breeders will not have sexed chicks.

Hatcheries are fine if you just want some backyard birds for fun and eggs. I ordered many birds from Murray McMurray years ago. I order from Ideal if I'm wanting pullets to raise to sell to people. I live in Texas and I can get the birds from Ideal within a few hours of hatching. Find a hatchery that is relatively close to your area and order from them.

Buying well-bred birds is important if you are going to be showing. Many people buy very good birds, but then don't cull hard or breed toward a standard of the breed. There are poultry suppliers who sell "trendy" birds - for extreme amounts of money. Just because someone makes outrageous claims on their website, doesn't make it true! You will not be able to pay that kind of money and raise babies to sell for the same amount. Most of the "old-timer" breeders are watching this like the ostrich speculation of the 80's. Stay away from them!

Raising show birds can be a lesson in frustration. Too many times, important qualities from the past have been ignored, while breeding a more showy bird. They might look good, but have a terrible feed to egg ratio. Raise these because you love them and want to make them better.

Getting chickens is like getting a dog. Some people want a high-dollar pure breed with all the papers that go with it. Others are happy to have a good-hearted mutt. If you don't have a specific breed in mind, order a special assortment. I prefer pullets only, because this is where the extra cockerels go when they sex chicks.

Have fun and enjoy your birds!

Back
Top Bottom