Hatchery Day Old Pullets

EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN

Songster
8 Years
Oct 11, 2011
I am not sure if i am posting this on the right forum. But I am going to get some sexed day old pullets from MurrayMcmurray Hatchery and I was wondering if anyone else has ordered day old baby pullets from MurrayMcmurray and what percent were actually pullets. Thank You

Last edited:
I've never personally ordered birds from any hatchery. However, many of the members here have. If you search the hatchery's name in the search engine it should show some threads about their birds. You may also request for your thread to be moved to the Hatchery Section.

I orderded birds...they were beautiful also...All came in alive..although the hatchery sent the wrong bantam chicks only (5) wasn't a big deal though:idunno. The amearaucanas are some of the prettiest ive ever seen.. all the pullets i ordered were pullets. They also sent the mystery chick which was a white silkie hen. she is beautiful and lays every other day. I also got some black auestralorps which are GREATTT birds. One right now is broody and due to hatch on thanskgiving
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
.They are a great hatchery. I also ordered from Ideal and ordered 8 and they are all pullets. The ameraucanas however are no where near what mcmurray sent. Those are now 10 weeks old.

Martha Stewart orders her chicks from McMurray. If you go to her website you can download "The Chicken Show," which was on about 2 years ago. I really wanted to get chcikens after seeing that. Whether you like her or not it is a good show. We order ours from Meyer Hatchery in Ohio since we live in that state and were pleased. Most hatcheries are about 90 % accurate on sexing pullets nowadays.

Sexing of day old chicks is widely considered to be at best 90% accurate. The hatchery I've always used is Ideal. Per Ideal's website, if greater than 10% male chicks are received in an order of sexed pullets they will refund the cost difference between a male and female chick.

IMO, spring time is the best time to order chicks. Greater variety and less chance of the chicks freezing to death on their way from the hatchery to your home.

I've ordered from them for years. Always had great success. With the sexed pulllets, I had only one or two cockerels get by. They always sent extras to make up for that. You should be happy with them.

Most of my hatchery chicks have come from Ideal Hatchery in Cameron, Texas. Every time I have ordered chicks I have gotten what I have ordered. One time I did get a cockerel that was supposed to be a pullet. The other hatchery I have used is Townline Hatchery in Zeeland, Michigan. I had no problems with either hatchery and the chicks all arrived healthy.

Back
Top Bottom