1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatchery duck season?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SAustin, Aug 26, 2016.

1. SAustin

SAustin Just Hatched

Aug 18, 2016
    Tennessee
    So it appears as though the Welsh Harlequin is sold out everywhere online. I looked at Metzer, McMurray and IDEAL. So it made me wonder if there was a "season" for ducklings? I know in the Spring there's an explosion and our local feed stores even get ducklings in... Is it the same for the hatcheries?

2. K813ZRA

K813ZRA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    I can't answer your question directly but from looking at their hatch dates it seems with a few exceptions they are done in August. A few breeds of ducks have hatch dates into October. That is looking at Metzer. I know Cackle only hatches chickens until October.

So it seems if WH are your must have duck that you are going to have to look for them from a breeder that may have a late hatch, or wait until next season.

Good luck.

3. SAustin

SAustin Just Hatched

Aug 18, 2016
    Tennessee
    I'm okay with waiting until Spring. I originally planned to wait until then, anyway. I blame this forum for getting me all duckling-crazy! [​IMG] But I was just curious if this was a trade-secret or something. I've only been a duck mom for 6 months but I love it so much I want to be a forever duck mom and learn all the ins-and-outs. Thanks for looking that info up to double check for me!

4. K813ZRA

K813ZRA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    No problem, I love ducks too! Even if they are stinky little things. I tell you, I had no idea how different ducks would be to chickens when I first got them. They sure make a mess, and quickly!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by