Hatchery GLW dont look like they are what they claim- EEs also

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Beaker Duck, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Beaker Duck

Beaker Duck BYC's CUTE Travelling Mascot

Jul 22, 2011
    All Over
    Hekkkooo Everyone!!
    The bizzybody lady got her chicks from Meyer Hatchery(and she was totally unhappy with the entire process, the customer service, communication and the mortality rate, but thats another story). We ordered 2 Gold Laced whynots, 2 buff orpytins, and 4 Easter eggies. We got 2 black chicks, 2 brownish chicks, and 4 yellow chicks.
    Anyways, we assume 2 of the yellow ones are the orpytins. The one black one who lived has yellow legs and no signs of EE, BUT.. maybe she is because when she's outside of the red room, she kinda has multiple colors.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

We know EE's are like mutts, and come in all colors, but all the pictures we ever saw were chip-monkey colored. So we weren't sure the black one would be an Easter eggie. And the yellow ones with yellow legs and no signs of facial fuzz. Sure hope they are EE's ( although 2 of the 4 yellow chicks died, so we will not know for a while if it was the orpies, the Easter eggies or 1 of each)

The question comes with the gold-laced whynots. We have to assume the brownish ones are the whynots. BUT.. the whynots have greenish legs. And one appears to have a muff, or beard, or whatever you call the facial puff.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

See the greenish legs? And the feather puff on the right side? The next chick I think is the second brownish one. This one looks like it has a beard.
    [​IMG]
    This is a face shot- I think it's the first brown chick.

[​IMG]

Soooooo, are these really Gold Laced Whynots? Or have we been tricked?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  2. Beaker Duck

Jul 22, 2011
    All Over
    Oh FRICKLE FRACKLE.. I just looked some stuff up,--- is the blackish chick the whynots???? IS THAT SO???

Help me, people .. help me figure out what we have left...please??

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  3. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
  4. Beaker Duck

Jul 22, 2011
    All Over
    Thanks for that link! You are right- the black one is the Gold Laced whynot. Which means the brown ones are the easter eggies, which explain the green legs and beards.
    Which means it was a whynot who died. And the STUPID hatchery didn't even know that when the bizzybody called to say a black one died- they said it was the EE.

5. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Sorry this has been such a sad experience for you! I am getting chicks from Meyer in July, but I am driving to pick them up because I am very worried about the heat. I don't know what the circumstances were with your batch, but I think there is always a possibility of chicks getting sick from being sent through the mail.

6. Beaker Duck

Jul 22, 2011
    All Over
    We ordered 12 chicks 4 1/2 months ago.
    They called on Monday to say that the silver laced whynots and the cuckoo marans didnt hatch. Our relative in the next town over also ordered, and some of her breeds didnt hatch either.
    We both called Tuesday morning, and the relative received her chicks the next morning. Our tracking number gave no info. We received the 8 chicks Wednesday morning. One chick died by late afternoon, another was dead the next morning, and a 3rd was dead by later that afternoon. 3 out of 8.. not a good success rate.
    When we called to report the deaths, and asked which ones were which, they didn't seem to know. They said the black ones were EE's, and the yellow ones that died were probably buff orps. Wouldn't make sense if they had brown EE's and yellow ones- so I am guessing they screwed up the order. Time will tell, but I think we received 2 EEs instead of 4, and 4 buff orps instead of 2.

We paid for all girls. Should start placing bets now on how many are boys.My bet is on 3.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by