hatchery GLW, whose is best?

jossanne

Crowing
14 Years
Jul 11, 2008
Gila, New Mexico
I have one beautiful GLW from McMurray. She's the only one I've ever seen, however, so I can't tell how wonderful she really is. Her lacing seems really nicely defined, and she's huge compared to the SLW. She's very broad, and at least 2 inches taller than the SLW. Her tail doesn't stick up like the SLW's does. She just seems more correct to my untrained eye.

I'd like to get more like her, but they're so expensive from McMurray. Has anyone got GLW's from Ideal? Another hatchery? What has been your experience? Are they nice birds?

If anyone is breeding them, and expects to have chicks or eggs in the spring, PM me.

I have one GLW from Ideal. Honestly, I believe she is exceptional for a hatchery Wyandotte. My two SLWs from Ideal I have now are not nearly as nicely laced as Vada is. I have one older SLW (two died earlier from internal laying, as did two RIRs this year) from Ideal that I think is okay, but she hasn't near the lovely lacing as my young GLW girl. Even across the chest, where it often fades to nothing in some hatchery stock, she is evenly laced. I will not be buying anymore hatchery birds due to all the internal laying issues they've had, but I would say that Vada is probably the best of all of them in quality.

Here's Wynona, my above-mentioned GLW, about 8 weeks old.
P9100031.jpg

Here she is today, about 5.5 months old. What do you think?
PC300007.jpg

PC300008.jpg

PC300010.jpg

I think she's beautiful - I wish all three of mine had nice fluffy butts like that, unfortunately only one does - it seems the rooster is treading all of their tailfeathers out. Hopefully yours isn't the favorite!

Thanks, I think she's beautiful too. So far, she is a fast runner when the boys come anywhere near... hopefully she keeps it up, unless I borrow my mom's GLW roo for a bit. Then she needs to just hang out with him and give me fertile eggs.

Privett GLW. Everyone went broody. Will take abandoned babies and eggs. Go broody at the sight of newly hatched chicks. Dedicated mothers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom