Hatchery improvised.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JulianaRussini, Mar 26, 2015.

1. JulianaRussini

JulianaRussini Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2015
    Hello .. Here in Brazil we call Garnizé, the bantans without a breed, I live in a small town that call Garnizé of piquira.
    In general the Garnizé are miniature chickens where there are no corresponding races, or that it is mixing two mini races.
    I have a couple of Garnizé, who crossed and she laid 8 eggs being the first 2 days apart and the last 3 days apart. Generally they are excellent mothers, so that many of them creates only to shock and create chicks of other hens, but my lay stopped and was not shocked.
    As I am in a very small town, not easily get equipment here, and we usually go to a larger city or order by mail which ends up taking and I wanted this young couple.
    And I had no way to get equipment for the construction of a hatchery, then built a test as where it put 3 eggs and 2 of a commercial laying hen (cross with Garnizé), made with the material he had at home.
    I took a plastic pot 4.5 liter rectangular, slightly longer than wide, but not much difference, with holes in the lid, put two fingers of sand, vermiculite and two fingers of two aquarium heaters, a 1 w and the another 2.5 units, and buried in the sand, it left the temperature of the eggs in 37.5 ° C, according to my aquarium thermometer with a hygrometer that had at home'm leaving the humidity between 60 to 80% by adding or removing a pot with little water.
    Have turned the eggs manually 2x daily.
    Today on the 6th day of incubation was making a candling and only one egg is developing. Has anyone done something similar if you know the right? Never did brooder and would very much appreciate at least this revenge.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Couple Garnizé

[​IMG]
    My egg with 6 days of incubation

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Welcome! Those are lovely little chickens. I like your design, but if I were to try this I would place the eggs on a bed of feathers or fabric that does not absorb moisture yet allows heat transfer.

What is the temperature on top of the eggs? I think this would work like a still air incubator upside down, and the bottom would have to be approximately 38.3C and the reading on top of the egg would be 36C- 36.7C. With frequent turning, this should keep the average internal egg temperature at 37.5.

If the top of the egg is much cooler, you may need to place a material that holds heat in over the top of the eggs so that they stay warmer. Be sure the thermometer is below this blanket.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by