1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatchery in CA .....update, I ordered!

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by bock, Dec 12, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I am looking to order some chicks soon, but I can't find a hatchery near enough to me. There is Belt Hatchery, in Fresno, but I am not impressed with their selection. Murray and Meyer are over 1,000 miles away form me, so they are out of the question. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Oregon and Washington feedstores all get their chicks from Privett Hatchery.

3. Meyer Hatchery

Meyer Hatchery Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Polk, Ohio
    I know it sounds crazy, but, most of our west coast customers get their chicks before our more local ones. The reason is, the chicks catch a plane rather than hop on this truck then that truck, and so on. It's just a thought, but you might not be unhappy ordering from a hatchery so far away!

4. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Thanks for the ideas! Unfortunately, Privett only sells chicks straightrun. [​IMG] So I guess they are out. Meyer hatchery, I might just take you up on that. I just hear that the farther they ship, the harder it is on the chicks, and the more DOA's you get. The reason I wanted to order locally, is last spring I ordered ducks and geese from Metzer Farms, in California. They all made it healthy andalive, and I am very pleased. They even arrived on Tuesday, a day earlier than normal! I don't know what it would have been like if I had ordered farther away. We'll see. [​IMG]

5. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I think I have decided on Belt. They don't have a few of the breeds I would have liked, but I think they will be okay. [​IMG]

6. omahalostpunk

omahalostpunk Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
    Council Bluffs
    Ideal is in Texas and there is a list of hatcheries at the top of this catagory that has a lot of hatcheries from all over that might help you find one even closer.

7. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Thanks for the ideas! Unfortunately, Privett only sells chicks straightrun. So I guess they are out. Meyer hatchery, I might just take you up on that. I just hear that the farther they ship, the harder it is on the chicks, and the more DOA's you get. The reason I wanted to order locally, is last spring I ordered ducks and geese from Metzer Farms, in California. They all made it healthy andalive, and I am very pleased. They even arrived on Tuesday, a day earlier than normal! I don't know what it would have been like if I had ordered farther away. We'll see.

You may want to relook at that, I've been to their website and they sell Straight run, pullets and cockerals. You have to click on the picture of the breed you want to look at and it takes you to another screen and ccan see the prices on sexed chicks.​

8. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Quote:You may want to relook at that, I've been to their website and they sell Straight run, pullets and cockerals. You have to click on the picture of the breed you want to look at and it takes you to another screen and ccan see the prices on sexed chicks.

Oh it does! My mistake. I just clicked on chicks and it would say the breed name with the words straightrun underneath. I didn't bother looking at the pages for individual breeds. They might be a good choice then, if I decide against Belt. [​IMG]

9. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    I am in CA, and I have gotten chicks from across the US with minimal loss. I opt for the fast shipping, and my post office annex calls me when they arrive. It is more about the weather IMO than the distance, as long as it doesn't take too long. I also plan to start ordering straight run on purpose, so I am not supporting the immediate mass destruction of male chicks on hatch. I can't keep the roosters when they are grown, but local feed stores take them, and they can go into the pot before they start crowing if one eats meat.

10. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Okay, so I REALLY want to order from Meyer, but I am still really worried about the distance. Belt has much less selection, but they are SO much closer. Has anyone ever ordered from a hatchery over 1,000 miles away with good results to boot? I don't know what I should do. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by