Hatchery Leghorn vs breeder Leghorn

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by patman75, Aug 26, 2010.

1. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Are breeder stock leghorns less "flightly" than hatchery stock?

I have 2 hatchery stock california grey leghorns and they are very flightly, high strung and one pullet has become a feather plucker. But they are just incredible egg layers, huge eggs 6 days a week.

Just wondering if there is a more easy going leghorn.

Thanks all.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Could you post a photograph of your "California Grey"?

3. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    First I would Like to clarify that what you called the california grey leghorns are not leghorns and from what i understand is that they are hybrids. Second most production "Leghorns" are not leghorns at all they are different breeds created from leghorns but are no longer called leghorns by most of their creators. Finally to answer your question I believe that unless you get bantams they will be flighty unless you get buff leghorns which I heard they were rather docile or at least more so then other leghorns.

4. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Many that folks are calling california greys are california whites. The california white is the first generation cross between a california grey and a white leghorn. The hybrids are almost white while the california grey is cuckoo colored. Even the pure california grey is a bit flighty because it does have leghorn in its background.

5. patman75

Quote:Here is a pic of the pullet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bin at the feed store said California Grey Leghorn. There is little speckles of gray feathers in her body.

6. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    She's a California White not Gray..gray's look like a Production Black or badly barred cuckoo patterned leghorn looking bird. I have some but they are like most leghorn's and not sticking around for pictures very long [​IMG] Not all hatchery leghorns are crosses those that are are named something different..many have their own line.You can get hatchery leghorns that are not a hybrid bird...they are fantastic layers laying xl and jumbo eggs every day..or they do here.I don't care for the hatchery hybrids so we only have the hatchery leghorns for my egg producing hens.I don't breed them so not interested in breeder/show stock.I want mine bred to lay and that's all.They lay the eggs that we sell to buy the feed for my breeding birds...and theirs [​IMG]
    If you want mellow leghorns it's the exchequer they are very mellow with no desire for flight...they are also not the best layers of huge eggs...none of the colors other than brown are so it depends on what your wanting most.

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/28412_100_2093.jpg
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/28412_100_2084.jpg

The bin at the feed store said California Grey Leghorn. There is little speckles of gray feathers in her body.

Is it the cuckoo / barred bird or the white bird? Former seems to be in center of image. Former is what looks to me to be California Grey if it is not barred plymouth rock or dominique. The white bird, appears as a california white would look.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  8. patman75

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/28412_100_2093.jpg
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/28412_100_2084.jpg

Is it the cuckoo / barred bird or the white bird? Former seems to be in center of image. Former is what looks to me to be California Grey if it is not barred plymouth rock or dominique. The white bird, appears as a california white would look.

The white one.

The other is a Barred Rock and there is a Light Braham in there too.

It is not surprising the the feed store had the wrong name on the bin. they also had "Americuna" chicks (all EE) and the black sexlink bin had a roos in it.

9. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    The california white it is.

10. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    When you see a black sex link pen..that doesn't mean it's all pullets same as the red sex links..unless it says all pullets they are straight run chicks.I had one new chicken owner come out so upset they had sex link roosters from TSC they thought sex link meant they were all pullets.I sent them home with pullets so the roos would have company.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by