Hatchery list by State

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by TexasVet, Jan 25, 2009.

1. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    FYI... I changed up my website, so the previous link to the hatcheries list may not work. Here's the new link: http://www.countrychickens.com/country_chickens_4_003.htm

I've
    also added some additional hatcheries that I saw mentioned in posts here. Feel free to let me know if there are others that should be added.

Thanks!

Kathy in Texas

2. blackclownfish16

blackclownfish16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Alaska has triple d poultry. It's the biggest in the state and they have a relatively good selection considering. Heres the link: http://www.alaskatripled.com/ Hopefully I'm allowed to post that guess I should read up on posting links. Anyway hope that helps. [​IMG]

3. BuckeyeDave

BuckeyeDave Overrun with Buckeyes

May 27, 2008
    Minster, Ohio
    My Coop
    Are hatcheries really the best place to get the best chickens or the best place for mediocre chickens?

For me, in the search for the true to standard buckeye most of the hatchery birds are the ones I sell as brown egg layers at local farmer's auctions, the quality just wasn't there. Sure they barely meet the standard but they won't win any medals.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  4. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    I would imagine all stock really "started" with a hatchery somewhere.
    Then people got them and culled for specifics, standards etc.
    Until generations later they are "better quality" because someone took the time and years to perfect them to standard and show them which makes anything worth more.
    Sometimes it may be the only option you have. Or if you do find good ones someone has already done the "work" and bred better birds/culled/generations/etc..
    I know we are looking for some breeds, it is very difficult to find them so we are forced to go hatchery, breed and cull and get what we want.
    Longer time, but that's how it goes.

5. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Hi Kathy,
    Really neat how you put them together.
    I contacted Shady Lane in Indiana recently, not really super friendly and the email said they weren't selling any birds this year..... so to save anyone else and them the headache of receiving emails about their birds, which they apparently don't appreciate....., I might think about taking them off your list.
    Just a thought,
    Thanks for your time in making the available to everyone.
    There is also another large one in Ohio, drawing a blank here.....
    And noticed Belt hatchery in CA, link didn't work?
    Take care,
    Angela

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  6. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

7. melalthia

melalthia Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2008
    Boulder Creek, CA.
    Quote:Hi Kathy
    Just let you know.. your "Belthatchery" in California link no longer is active.
    thanks for the effort of archiving!
    -m

8. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    Thanks for the feedback! Give me about 10 minutes to make your suggested changes.

On another thread someone suggested adding BYCers who sell show-quality birds. If anyone has such a list already, please PM me so I can add it to the site.

Kathy in Texas
    [email protected]

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by