Hatchery Marans versus Breeder hens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Afterburner, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Afterburner

Afterburner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    I was looking at Marans and thinking of getting a hen or two this spring. Out west, there aren't many certified Marans breeders. I was wondering, for you folks who have had hens from both lines, other than egg colour, what are the differences? Do Hatchery Marans lay as well as other hatchery breeds like EE, BR etc? Finally, is their demeanar, productivity and egg colour different between the different sub-lines like Copper, black, Cuckoo?

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Hi Neighbor!

I am just up the freeway from you about 45 minutes north. I breed Marans and I can tell you that they are as friendly as they come, however they are not as friendly as Barnevelders or Delawares, but I love them just the same.
    I do not have hatchery birds so I cannot comment on them, except they do not have the egg color that non hatchery Marans do.

The Black Coppers lay the darkest eggs of all of them, with Blue Coppers right behind them, there are some Wheatens Marans out there that lay spectacular eggs too. They are good layers but as with all birds they have their down times, but for the most part they are good.

This spring when you are in the market and looking for a couple of birds just let me know, I will more than likely have a couple of pullets that will need a new home. I have Black Copper, Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans and hopefully by early summer I will be under way with my Blue Birchen Marans breeding program.

3. Afterburner

Afterburner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    I would be very interested come springtime. Would I be able to purchase day old to week old chicks from you?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by