hatchery marans

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Buckhunter, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Buckhunter

Buckhunter Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    anyone have any experience marans from any of the major hatcheries ? ............. good, bad , or otherwise ........ any recommendations ............ I'm wanting good layers with dark as possible eggs

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If you're wanting good layers with DARK eggs, hatcheries is your last resort you should ever go to. [​IMG] Most hatchery Marans are Cuckoo Marans, known widely for their pale eggs.

I'd recommend getting hatching eggs or chicks from a good breeder of Black Copper Marans. [​IMG]

3. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    The difference is quality. In the hatchery they are going to be breeding as many as they possibly can. so that means no culling. They won't get rid of any inferior genetics. So egg color, plumage color, and just about everything else will suffer. A reputable breeder will cull out the birds that do not meet the standard, and will breed only the best stock.

4. Buckhunter

Buckhunter Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    well I have considered a breeder BUT I dont want to deal with straight run chicks . I have considered hatching eggs as well ,but the same reason hurts that idea as well .

My wife just will not agree to butchering any for meat and I just dont know what to do with the cockerals .............. i guess I could try to give them away ???? ................ any ideas ?????

5. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    My friend has Cuckoo Marans from Ideal Poultry, they lay about 2 of these a week.

[​IMG]

Compared to my Barred Rock from MPC (the dark egg):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  6. Balefire

Balefire Songster

Apr 11, 2011
    Orwigsburg PA
    Hmmmmmmmmmm and how can I find a breeder, when I don't know anyone [​IMG] The people around me, think I'm a little cucu [​IMG], because I want [​IMG] , so no one around here will help me............[​IMG]

7. jfishfam

jfishfam Songster

Jul 1, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    That would be my exact question...where do you find a breeder and do breeders only do straight run? My husband isn't so gung ho and I definitely need hens not roos.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I sex most of my chicks before I sell them, but, to each their own. Some breeders sell straight run, some sex them, some wait until they're fully mature.

As for your local area, try craigslist or something. Because otherwise I can't help you much. People don't want cockerels, sure, but they can be sexed at as young as 4 weeks old, and aren't too hard to get rid of. Especially if you have a Hispanic or Asian community around. [​IMG]

9. spiritdance

spiritdance Songster

Dec 13, 2010
    Actually, I wouldn't think a good quality Black Copper Marans roo would be that hard to place, since they are also needed to produce olive eggers and BCMs are not that easy to come by.

10. Buckhunter

Buckhunter Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    OK ............ maybe it will be easier than I thought to get rid of the excess roos .

Any advice on an Incubator and where to buy quality hatching eggs ? or are there any maran breeders in central Illinois or I could drive to western indiana or eastern Missouri

also which variety ? .................. I have read about Black copper , wheaton , blue (something) ., cuckoo etc.

I have 5 cuckoo marans now that I got from Welp hatchery and I like them . The eggs are fairly dark but I would like to see a little more color.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: