Hatchery Mishap?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RogerTheChicken, Dec 30, 2014.

1. RogerTheChicken

RogerTheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2014
    in September I received several breeds of chickens from mypetchicken in September,I have ordered three times from them and all my orders have been good with them. But I noticed the day I got them that a white silkie rooster had a single comb, when he grew his first feathers he became a grayish-splash color, I love the little guy to death, his name is Smokey, so I am not gonna cull or sell him, do you think a different breed got into the white silkie breeding pen? I can post pics of him tomorrow

2. RogerTheChicken

May 17, 2014
    Oops said September twice

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    If he has a single comb, he's definitely not a pure Silkie as they have walnut combs. Definitely post a pic and we'll take a look at him for you. :eek:)

4. RogerTheChicken

May 17, 2014
    If he has a single comb, he's definitely not a pure Silkie as they have walnut combs. Definitely post a pic and we'll take a look at him for you. :eek:)
    [/quote Ok I will be sure to early tomorrow, I was kinda disappointed when I found out he was grayish and had a single comb

5. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    According to my search, they can have a single comb and still be pure. The way hatcheries are set up, they typically don't have mixes...
    Here's what a result from my search. This person seemed to know what they were talking about. I don't know much about genetics at all...
    [​IMG]

6. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    "Pure" is probably more a matter of personal definition in this case. Perhaps the best statement would be to say that your Silkie doesn't meet the APA standards for Silkies, which requires a walnut comb.

7. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    P.S. You should post a pic of him for us. It's possible there are other factors that would might put him into the Silkie mixed breed catagory. Without a pic, it's impossible for us to say for sure. Identifying a bird without a pic is a bit like shooting in the dark.

8. RogerTheChicken

May 17, 2014
    This is Smokey[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The white silkie is named Snowball and I got her when I got Smokie

9. RogerTheChicken

May 17, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He is old English game bantam, but what color, he is similar to lavender/self blue but he has a little gold-reddish on him

10. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    That appears to be a "pure" silkie, just a hatchery quality one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by