Hatchery or Breeder?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by stephhassler, Jan 15, 2010.

1. stephhassler

stephhassler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Eastern Iowa
    From what I have read on the boards, it seems the thought is that breeders will supply a chicken that is more true to the breed form than a hatchery? Is that right? I ask, not because I want to say one is better than the other, but because my son wants to start showing chickens in 4-H. He is very excited about the possibility of winning some ribbons. I don't want him to take hatchery chickens if he is surely going to be disappointed because they are not true to breed standards.

And, if that is in fact the case, how does one go about finding local breeders. I have done google searches, but just seem to be able to find hatcheries. There is a hatchery in Iowa, but my son is crazy about rare and unusual breeds, so the only place I am finding to get those is MMcM.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Also, we do have Amish in the area. Would a drive up there be worthwhile?

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    If you/ your son is going to be showing then you will want to find a good breeder of the breeds that he is wanting to show. Not to put down hatcheries but there breeds/ varieties (colors) are no way near the standard of perfection.
    Some places you might want to look for breeders are Shows, Breed clubs and the Poultry press. What breed/s is he looking to show? There might be some people on here that might be able to help you.
    One other thing is some breeds/ varieties (colors) might not be in the Standard of Perfection. I would recommend that you get a copy of the Standard of Perfection either the color version or the black and white version. (Black And White version is cheaper)

Chris

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  3. stephhassler

stephhassler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Eastern Iowa
    He would like some Phoenix, Faverolles and Buckeyes. We are in Eastern Iowa.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:

OK,
    For the Buckeyes you get a of pathfinders on here at (BYC) you can find her at https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=271644.

On
    the Phoenix there are only two (2) varieties/ colors that are excepted in the American Standard of Perfection and they are the Silver and the Golden.
    With the Faverolles there also only two (2) varieties/ colors that are excepted in the American Standard of Perfection and they are the Salmon and the White.

Chris

5. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Some of the bigger shows, (like the Ohio National) have partial lists of breeders. They also list past winners, along with City/State. If you can get a hold of any of these people who do well at showing the breeds you want, you may have a good foot in the door!

6. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Poultry Press is a really good newspaper. You will find breeders, clubs and shows all listed in there

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    I agree fully on finding a breeder if he plans to compete, but do research, know what your breed is supposed to look like, just because they are a private breeder, doesn't mean they have show quality birds by no means. The phoenix would be the tuffest to find nice ones in, as many people have just screwed them up to be honest. We have them in bantam size.
    The easy way to find what you want, locally or otherwise, place a want ad on the wanted section a few sections down on here. Surely someone will jump in with some, again the phoenix will be your hardest to find in good quality that is, just cause they call it a phoenix, doesnt mean it's going to have a nice tail, saddle and converts (which they should)
    Hope this helped, also watch eggbid.com for birds in your area, just be sure to read the seller feedback before bidding on there, there's a few shady folks on that thing, but most are nice honest sellers.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    For beginners, I HIGHLY suggest starting out with one breed. Also, get an SOP (standard of perfection) to help you select your breeder birds.

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    From what I have read on the boards, it seems the thought is that breeders will supply a chicken that is more true to the breed form than a hatchery? Is that right?

My answer to this question would be maybe. There are some hatcheries from which you can get high quality birds. Urch/Turnland, Superiior & Sandhill Preservation Center to name three.
    Many of the so-called breeders out there are actually what I would characterize as reproducers. They don't take the time to learn & know their breed, rather they put a male & some females together & immediately start selling hatching eggs with no idea what the outcome will be. In many case these "breeders" will buy hatchery birds & breed from them. In other cases they will buy hatching eggs from a source they know nothing about, often another reproducer, and immediately advertise that they will have hatching eggs availabe as soon as the birds they hatch start to lay. I'm sure this will offend some here but this description applies to many "breeders" on this board.
    My best advice is first do as Rodrigues Poultry suggests, buy anf study a Standard Of Perfection. Know your breed before you buy anything. Then go to smoe shows & compare winning birds to what you have read in the Standard as learning to apply the Standard is a process as well. Then talk to people showing the breed you are interested in, most will talk all day about their birds. Also talk to the Judges at the show about your selected breed. [wait 'till after the judging is over, please] I have many times gone to look at sale birds with a beginner & helped them select stock. [most shows have a sales area]
    If you do these things you'll be way ahead of most beginners who just go buy birds w/o knowing what to look for. This will save you time, money and most of all frustration.

10. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Quote:My answer to this question would be maybe. There are some hatcheries from which you can get high quality birds. Urch/Turnland, Superiior & Sandhill Preservation Center to name three.
    Many of the so-called breeders out there are actually what I would characterize as reproducers. They don't take the time to learn & know their breed, rather they put a male & some females together & immediately start selling hatching eggs with no idea what the outcome will be. In many case these "breeders" will buy hatchery birds & breed from them. In other cases they will buy hatching eggs from a source they know nothing about, often another reproducer, and immediately advertise that they will have hatching eggs availabe as soon as the birds they hatch start to lay. I'm sure this will offend some here but this description applies to many "breeders" on this board.
    My best advice is first do as Rodrigues Poultry suggests, buy anf study a Standard Of Perfection. Know your breed before you buy anything. Then go to smoe shows & compare winning birds to what you have read in the Standard as learning to apply the Standard is a process as well. Then talk to people showing the breed you are interested in, most will talk all day about their birds. Also talk to the Judges at the show about your selected breed. [wait 'till after the judging is over, please] I have many times gone to look at sale birds with a beginner & helped them select stock. [most shows have a sales area]
    If you do these things you'll be way ahead of most beginners who just go buy birds w/o knowing what to look for. This will save you time, money and most of all frustration.

Good advise. That sums it up. Will

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by