Hatchery or Farm???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by silkielover419, Aug 28, 2016.

1. silkielover419

silkielover419 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2016
    I really want Silver Laced Wyandottes, Golden Laced Wyandottes and maybe some Columbian Wyandottes. But I have looked and looked and I can't find any farms that have Wyandottes in Virginia! I wanted to order them from Mypetchicken.com, but my parents say we shouldn't order from a hatchery. I wanted to know if ordering from a hatchery is a bad idea, and if it isn't, which hatchery would you recommend.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Hatcheries and breeders ("farms") are both excellent choices when sourcing chickens, however which is better will depend on what you're looking for in your flock. If you want birds which:

- Can compete in exhibition/show

- Are very true to the standard described appearance, personality, and size of the breed

- Will make good meat or dual purpose birds

- Are a true heritage breed

then you would do best going to a breeder. Good breeders work hard and pay close attention to things like correct appearance and good personality, as well as producing healthy stock. Breeder quality birds are also usually larger and heavier than hatchery quality birds (depending on breed), meaning that they make far superior meat birds and dual purpose fowl.

If you want birds which:

- Are mainly good layers and pets

then a hatchery is the best choice. While hatchery stock often does not represent the best example of the breed (many birds having incorrect body shape or color), they will be superior layers by far, as that is what they have been selected for. Many also sport excellent personalities, making them good pets. They are also typically less expensive than breeder stock. Most large hatcheries are also NPIP certified, meaning they have their stock tested for disease regularly so you can be sure you are getting healthy chicks. (Some breeders - though not all - may also be NPIP).

As far as hatcheries go, I'm a big fan of Cackle Hatchery. They have very healthy birds which are a bit truer to type than other hatcheries. However, I've found Ideal, McMurray, and Belt to be good as well. I've never dealt with MPC personally, but you should note that they are not a hatchery - simply a middleman. They get their birds from various other sources, including some of the ones I mentioned above.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  3. silkielover419

Jul 24, 2016
    Thank you! I am mostly looking for good laying and maybe meat chickens, since we just lost a few chickens to a raccoon. I will look at the other hatcheries you suggested. Again, thank you for your help!

4. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I have gotten most of my hick from hatcheries and have been very pleased. they have been good healthy chicken and have never had a problem with them. If you get them from a hatchery lease make sure you get them vaccinations.

5. silkielover419

Jul 24, 2016
    OK, thank you!

6. silkielover419

Jul 24, 2016
    Thank you both for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by