Hatchery Orders

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hillfloweranch, Mar 10, 2013.

1. hillfloweranch

hillfloweranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    I started this thread because for the first time I've ordered baby chicks through the mail from a hatchery not in my state. I am concerned after reading through a few threads about them surviving the trip. I know that there are many factors to take into consideration when ordering by mail but anyones previous experiences or tips to help ensure survivability would be very much appreciated.

So my questions are:
    1. when the hatchery gives you the delivery "week" when should you generally expect them?
    2. should I be worried If i'm ordering from a hatchery in another state? will that decrease chick survivability?
    3. do post offices call you on the weekend?
    4. should I inform the post office I'm expecting live chicks?
    5. In your experience have hatcheries been willing to work with you for a specific delivery date? the reason I ask is I work 12hr shifts so need to arrange for a day I'm off and can pick up the chicks right away.

any other tips, advice, expertise, anything would really help. I was so excited to order these babies but now I'm stressing out that they won't make it.

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    The hatchery should let you know when they will ship. I let my mail delivery person know so she can inform the office. They call me when they get them in.
    I know with my ducks, they were shipped on Monday and I receive on Wednesday.

3. hillfloweranch

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    did they do ok? my babies are coming from Iowa to California and I'm wondering if they'll be ok.

4. hillfloweranch

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    Just had a crazy idea...
    How about a hatchery get together..where people in their area gather the breed orders from BYC members and place an order then get together to deliver the babies? Thus allowing for a large order but since you can mix an match breeds to make up the minimum everyone would be able to get the birds they want without having to worry about the quantity of one breed?

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN

I tried that. I placed a CL ad, even, trying to get enough people to submit an order for 25. I had a few flakes respond, no serious chicken keepers and I sure as heck didn't want to be stuck caring of a bunch of chicks that would be picked up "soon". I hope you'll have better luck. I didn't have room in the brooder for 25 or I might have ordered extra pullets of popular breeds and sold off the extras as I found buyers.

If you do this, you also need to be sure you can ID the breeds so the peeps can be split on arrival. Some breeds are extremely hard to tell apart as tiny chicks.

6. hillfloweranch

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    Great advice! And I checked with MM hatchery and they are willing to mark the birds so that is taken care of. But I agree with the difficulty of getting people to commit. But thought it was an interesting option for people who only want or need a few chicks of a certain breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by