Hatchery owner is giving me grief

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BJ, Jul 18, 2008.

1. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    I had a previous thread asking about the gender of my buff orps.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=72332

I called the hatchery three times. The owner finally called me back. He asked me WHY I thought they were all roosters. When I told him they all had large combs at 5 weeks, he dismissed it and said ALL have combs at 5 weeks. He did not believe me when I told him one has already crowed (my DH and I have both witnessed him crow). He was rude and made me feel stupid. He had me so rattled after I spoke with him that I cried!! I emailed pictures, on my insistence, so he could have a look himself. I am still waiting to hear back from him.

Folks, please look again. Is there any possibility I could have a pullet in this group?
    I am so upset and I don't know what to do or what to say to this man!

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Nope, definitely all roos. Sorry! :-(

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They all look like roosters to me. Combs, wattles, thick legs and thighs.

4. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    They look like my roo at that age. What a jerk!!

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    No, they're all roos. That guy was out of line. Bad customer service!

:aww

6. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    Given the numbers you have, you do not have a lot of leverage even if you tell him you will not buy from him again. All you can do is write a letter to them and indicate that I feel you were rude, condensending and utterly wrong and as such you have told your friends on this site about their customer service. He will ndetstand the ramifications of 13,000 member being told he has lousey Customer service. Then buy elsewhere.

7. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Just try to remember that everyone has a bad day and makes mistakes sooner or later. My DW bought 5 pullets back in April and as a second thought bought 1 rooster to go along with the girls. Guess what ALL 5 "pullets" are roosters and the 1 that was supposed to be a roo has turned out to be a hen. Mistakes happen, but your right there is no excuse for being rude about it.

8. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Which hatchery was it?

Send him an email containing the thread where you asked what gender they were. That way he knows you aren't the "only" one who thinks they are roosters.

-Kim

9. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd say roos too, but I am not that advanced in knowledge, but, I must commend you on the numbering and the shots you have taken, and it seems quite amusing to the chicks that there is a number there.
    So sorry for your frustration and lack of attention.

10. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    THOSE ARE ROOS!!! I got a 'pullet' BO from my feed store, 8 total, and I happened to get the one that IS NOT A PULLET!!! I have 7 pullets and one roo, after my order for a BO roo already when through. At 5.5 weeks, you better believe those are roos. I can take pics of my BO hens just to prove it if you'd like. My BO hens are about 15 weeks old (one, from a previous batch, is 21 wks) and NONE of them, even at their ages, have the really red combs. The one who is 21 weeks is getting there, she's gonna be laying soon, but the others aren't even close. Time to try your hand at vent sexing with a video camera watching!!! LOL!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by