Hatchery Phoenix?

I got mine from a hatchery and I got very good quality phoenixes. All my pullets are considered "breeders quality" but my roo is closer to "pet quality." I plan on breeding my quad in the spring.
BTW my pullets have really long tails and have at least 16 tail feathers.
~RoO~

I keep all bantam phoenix and sumatras in various colors, ameriacn and import lines, no hatchery compares to buying from quality breeders. First they dont even know where they breed originated from, every hatchery I have seen says they are oriental, mainly Japan in origin. Well, they are European if the truth be known. Most all hatchery birds I have seen, mainly look to be barn yard chickens with a slightly longer tail.
On our bantams, a 4 foot tail on a 10-12 inch tall roos is very common, as are 18 inch saddled and converts (dragging ground by 6 months)
Thing with hatceries, you never know what they will send you, quality wise, never count on anything over pet quality. Even the one that do turn out good, usually will not produce great offspring due to all the weak genes they are carrying.
We have a phoenix thread above in the breed sticky section if you'd like more info on them. To me, they are well worth the cost, beautiful birds!

heres a couple quick pics of some of my 5-7 month old bantams

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2480.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg

IMG_2477.jpg

this boy got to 4 foot before his first molt even with loads of rain breakage

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1824.jpg

Thing with hatceries, you never know what they will send you, quality wise, never count on anything over pet quality.

I agree with BBB dont order from a hatchery and expect good quality. If your looking for quality phoenixes there should be plenty of phoenix breeders here on BYC

BTW BBB wow your phoenix are impressive​

thanks roocrazy! Need to get soem recent ones of them up. The silver is, but the whites are coming 2 now, just went into their first molt, so will get some new ones this spring. They stayed in blood feather for nearly a year and a half, pretty darn good for any phoenix before their first molt. These all originated out of a great breeders stock here in Georgia.

and yep, thats right with any breed, hatcherys = pet quality on average, yes you will get some nice stuff along and along, but if breeding or showing is your goal, defiantely spend the extra time and money and by from good breeders. You'll end up having to anyway if these are your goals. If nice backyard birds is all your after, then hatcheries are the easy way to go...

my cockerel still has pin feathers and hes 5 mos old sadly he got his tail feathers picked off but they are still coming in Pin feathers that old already amazes me

BTW Is 5+ months still with pin feathers pretty good for a hatchery bird?

oh and just found out my roos kinda crele

yep, for a hatchery, any thing over a foot in lenght is good.Great ones will stay in blood feather up to 2 years after their first adult molt, but to still be that way on a hatchery bird at 5 months aint too bad either!

Got some pics of him?

I got mine from a hatchery and I got very good quality phoenixes.
~RoO~

I agree with BBB dont order from a hatchery and expect good quality. If your looking for quality phoenixes there should be plenty of phoenix breeders here on BYC

Having trouble reconciling your statements. Which is it?

BTW-Boggy Bottoms: Beautiful Silver male!​

thank NYREDS,

Cant wait to see what he ends up with this spring, got several other colors that are still very young but showing great potential too.
Buff, pyle, black, silver ginger splits, khaki duckwing, solid dun, and a few others, some from import lines . Will add some pics of them once they mature a bit more, also hope to add a few more to that list this fall if the breeder has any more available. I'm truely addicted to these guys now. Nothing cooler to me than those long flowing tails and converts...

Back
Top Bottom