Hatchery problems?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by jebrab, May 20, 2008.

1. jebrab

jebrab Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2007
    Southeastern Indiana
    Hi All,

Just curious if anyone has had problems with Meyer hatchery...???.... I placed an order in February, and have been told each week that there is a bad hatch, we will ship next week. Well, last week they called on Monday, said there was a bad hatch, and would ship out this week. Guess what? Part of the order showed up last week, Meyer said they didn't know they shipped [​IMG] and they sat at the PO for a day because I didn't know they were coming...many casualties....[​IMG] . Now this week, they shipped out my order minus the ones I really wanted because again bad hatch....[​IMG]

Just curious if I am the only one...

Thanks,
    Jane

2. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    I have ordered from them twice in previous years and they were great. Chicks arrived in great condition and healthy and right on time. Maybe, something is going on this year!

3. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Sorry to hear of your problems. Are you ordering rare breeds?

4. jebrab

jebrab Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2007
    Southeastern Indiana
    Yep, welsummers, plymouth rock and salmon favorelles.... I am glad to hear that maybe it is an isolated case....

5. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Welsummers seem to be in very short supply this year. All the hatcheries are sold out or have low amounts available.

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    OH No![​IMG]
    My order was supposed to be sent out yesterday and they did call but by the time I was able to call back they were closed. So now I will call again. [​IMG]
    I have expected them all day. I ordered Barred Rocks, Blk Stars, Buff Orps, EE, Salmon Faverolles, Welsummers and Gold Laced Wyandottes oh, and one little Silkie they had left. [​IMG]
    I ordered in March and called a few weeks ago because I heard there were problems but Meyer told me all mine were still a go. We shall find out![​IMG]

7. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I bought from meyer last year and the chicks arrived perfect condition. I went with welp this year because I wanted some different breeds.

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I bought hatching eggs from Meyer this year. They pushed my order back 2 and a half weeks and half of them aren't even fertile. I won't be ordering there again. All the big hatcheries seem to have issues keeping up this year. I'll find local eggs.

9. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Just talked to Meyer.
    My order went out yesterday afternoon BUT without my Welsummers. Supposedly those will ship out next week! [​IMG]
    Meanwhile I will be checking out my local ag paper to find some if possible. I really want some Welsummers and I don't want them to keep pushing back the date. [​IMG]
    I ordered 5 hens and a roo in that breed. My other breeds are on the way and she tracked it while I was on the phone and hopefully will show up first thing in the morning at the P.O.[​IMG]

Good luck to everyone else that ordered. The lady was super nice and said they are trying very hard to fill all the orders. [​IMG]

10. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    I ordered from Meyer the first week of February. Our order kept getting pushed back also. We finally had them ship what they had because these are my 4-H kids fair birds and our fair is the first week in July. We needed them sooner rather than later or they would not be feathered out in time.

We were told the second half in 2 weeks and it was delayed another 5 weeks. When it finally arrived, we had the right number of birds but evidently it was another "bad hatch" and they just substituted more of the other breeds we ordered, without letting us know. The invoice said exactly what we ordered, but it was obvious that is not what we got. Now that the birds are a month old we can tell 2 breeds we didn't get, 2 breeds we got extras of and 1 breed were short on.

Also, now that the first set is 10 weeks, it is also obvious that the 3 welsummer pullets and 1 cockeral I ordered is 3 cockerals and 1 pullet. :-(

One person there explained to me that they had decided to put in a new computer system but it couldn't be done until March, I think it was. So they didn't want to use the old system and then switch, so they did everything by hand then entered it all in later. It screwed up a lot of things. They also said they couldn't keep up with the demand and as of April they had sold 3 times more birds than last year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by