Hatchery purchase dilema

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Flyboy718, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Flyboy718

Flyboy718 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    I am not quite understanding the small order $12 from Southern Farm Hatchery in MS. I tried the checkout and it let me get 6 chicks with shipping for $31.30 including shipping to my zip 71055. But I also found where they ship small orders and that is a $12 fee in addition to the cost of the chicks and shipping...so I am confused, do I have to pay a small order fee for $12 or just simply order 6 chicks and no small order fee?

2. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    Im not familiar with that hatchery but I can tell you a little bit.
    A small order charge means that they have a minimum order (example 25 chicks). They will let you order less than their minimum (25 chicks) but if you do they will charge you a small order charge to cover processing such a small order. I paid a small order charge with Ideal Poultry when I placed my order last week for 14 chicks. This is in addition to the normal shipping charges not part of it however that price may or may not have been included in your quote. This I cannot tell you.

Hope that helps [​IMG]

3. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    From what it says on their website, it looks like you do have to add the small order charge to your cart before you check out.

With almost all hatcheries, small orders tend to be painfully expensive.

4. Flyboy718

Flyboy718 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Quote:I carried the six chicks all the way to the checkout and it never said anything about having to add the $12...I am just confused!

5. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    At Cackle hatchery, you can order 15 chicks and shipping is about 15.00. I have silkies coming, 15 of them for 55.00 (I think)lol. Can't remember that exact amount, but it was around that.

6. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Quote:I carried the six chicks all the way to the checkout and it never said anything about having to add the $12...I am just confused!

It actually says on the small order page, for any order under 25 chicks, you have to add that to your cart for your order to be processed.

http://www.southernfarmhatchery.com/Small-Orders.php

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by