1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatchery Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ToledoClucker, Feb 23, 2012.

1. ToledoClucker

ToledoClucker Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    Hello!

We are getting ready to place our first order for our first ever chicks and plan on ordering from PurelyPoultry. They seem to be the only hatchery that I can order a small qty. of chicks (4-5) in a mixed breed style. Have any of you ever ordered from there? If so, were you happy with them? Any comments would be appreciated, thanks!

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi. Welcome!. I think every hatchery has it's pros and cons. Everyone has their favorites. I think I would question a hatchery sending such a small amount. And I personally would not order a small amount like that in the winter.

Chicks are very susceptable to cold stress. I think alot of chicks die shipped in the winter, or shortly after you get them, because they've been cold stressed. With a large number of chicks shipped, their chances are better, but they can still end up cold stressed.

You may want to think about buying an incubator, ($50.00-$400.00+) and buy the eggs. That gives you 3 weeks of anticipation, excitement when they hatch, and cute little chicks that you actually hatched yourself. And an awful lot of chatting on BYC about hatching, incubators, groups of people all starting a hatch together.

Good luck in whatever you do!

3. BuffMomma

BuffMomma Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Florida
    try your local feed store they usually order chicks and they sometimes will order just for you

4. chicks73

chicks73 New Egg

Feb 21, 2012
    SE MN
    I agree, every hatchery has its pros and cons. I have ordered several times over the years from McMurray (because they are close to me) and have gotton different quality everytime. I just recently watched a video that Cackle Hatchery did on themselves (it's on you tube). In their video they say that they get their eggs from over 80 different farms. So you can see that some of the hatcheries can really very in their quality each time you order. They might use 10 different breeders for the same breed for all we know.

5. ToledoClucker

Feb 18, 2012
    Thanks for the response! I agree about the cold-stress, and the chicks wouldnt be shipping until mid-march, and they are shipped with a heat pack. Unfortunately, my accomodations do not allow me to order more chicks or I would definitely do so. I think I am going to have to take my chances, and hopefully all goes well.

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    MyPetChicken also does small chick orders

7. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    If you are in Ohio I would check out Meyer hatchery.

8. ToledoClucker

Feb 18, 2012
    Checked them...out of all of the breeds I would like until mid-june :(

9. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I've never heard of purely poultry but Meyer, Ideal, and My Pet chicken all do low minimums on chick orders. Good luck :)

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

A Purely Poultry a hatchery? Hmmmmm.... I kind of assumed they were merely a drop shipper from the real hatcheries anyhow. I"ll have to check that out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by