Hatchery Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Westernairesfly, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Westernairesfly

Westernairesfly Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Hello,

I would like to order a batch of chicks this April, and was hoping I could find a good-quality hatchery that sells quality chicks. I know a hatchery most likely will not have the best in appearance and such, focusing more on egg production usually, but if there are reputable hatcheries out there that do mind having standard birds, I would like to know. I've ordered from McMurray and Cackle Hatchery before, and was not that impressed with egg color, nor the health, as several had cross beaks, bad toes, and a lot died within a few years. I am willing to sacrifice some egg production for better quality in everything else.
    The reason I don't want to order from a breeder is because of the limited choices and no assurance of recieving pullets, as the chicks cannot be sexed. Below are some hatcheries in the same side of the country as me. If you have any experiences or recommendations you would share, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Larry's Hatchery (Colorado)

C. M. Estes Hatchery, Inc. (Missouri)

Farwest Htachery (Oregon)

2. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    I have had good luck with Hoover, Great to deal with and the chicks look great.

3. storminthenight

storminthenight Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2008
    Missouri
    I have some month old chicks from Estes and have had a good experience with them. All the chicks are doing great and very healthy from the beggining, good customer service too. I raised 8 EE's that I bought from a farm store (but were originally from Estes) a couple a years ago and they were beautiful birds. Both those and the EE's I have from them now are quite naturally friendly.

4. Westernairesfly

Mar 31, 2012
    Thanks everybody.

5. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Ideal Poultry is a great hatchery which I recommend since I've ordered about 20 d'uccle chicks and am expecting them to arrive within the next couple of weeks. They may even have the chicks that you are looking for and they have no minimum of the quantity of baby chicks as long as the minimum amount is $25.

6. fricknfricassee

fricknfricassee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2012
    Mendocino county
    I HAVE ALSO ORDERED FROM IDEAL POULTRY AND THIS IS MY FIRST PURCHASE. I HOPE YOUR CHICKS ARRIVE SAFE AND SOUND, I HAVE 25 ASSORTED CHICKS COMING AROUND THE 4TH OF MAY. I WILL POST ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE WITH IDEAL POULTRY AT THAT TIME. IT IS ALWAYS A GREAT THING TO HAVE A POSITIVE "FIRST" EXPERIENCE IN DOING BUSINESS WITH ANY COMPANY.

7. nicolets

nicolets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Monroe County, PA
    I have to vouch for My Pet Chicken. While I have not ordered from them myself, I would if I could. They have so much info about raising chickens and even refer you to other hatcheries; I believe they genuinely care for backyard hobbyists. Their prices as well as other things lead me to believe these are not just egg-laying chickens, they are real quality chicks.
    I'd also have to say that if you're looking for more of a looker-bird, be sure you have your breeds straight. Red Stars are egg machines and wear themselves out rather quickly... they can be worn out in just 1-3 years. However other breeds like Silkies aren't chosen for their laying ability and are able to preserve themselves.
    But in addition, all hatchery chicks are likely to be more of an egg layer, even if hatcheries do not have it set up that way on purpose - if a hen lays an egg every day while her sister only lays a couple times a week, chances are you're going to get a chick from the better layer.

8. kitten6566

kitten6566 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    pennsylvania
    My Coop
    If you are going to order from ideal poultry, make sure it is a big batch because the othe day i ordered 6 sebright bantams and got 15 extra males of a different breed.

9. Westernairesfly

Mar 31, 2012
    THanks everybody for your replies. Sounds like Ideal is a good place to go to.

10. ChickDaze

ChickDaze Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    I ordered from eFowl.com. One died in coming, and one died on the first night out, though I can possibly blame that on older chickens. They are really cheap. I only had one mis-sexed, but you have to expect that. In fact, he is my only roo now (there were two others ordered on straight run).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by