Hatchery Sent wrong chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by AussieSharon, Jun 18, 2008.

1. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Imagine my surprise this morning when I get home with my box of new chicks, open it up and they are NOT what I ordered! I ordered 25 Rhode Island Whites and instead have 26 cute RED chicks. The packing slip says WHITES. Just over 2 more hours before I can call the hatchery.

On a good note, my son loves them. LOL

2. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Hmmm wonder if they'll send replacements or credit you or your just SOL. Interesting....

3. AussieSharon

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I hope they send replacements. I don't want Rhode Island Reds and certainly not 26 of them.
    The hatchery customer service has been great so I am sure they will make things right. Will let you know.

4. AussieSharon

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I just got off the phone with the hatchery. The lady was very shocked the wrong chicks were sent. Turns out there was a mistake at the hatchery and RIW were not available, only RIR which were sent by mistake. Unfortunately they are sold out of RIW until August.

I was offered a full refund or replacement chicks sent at no charge. I opted for 25 California Whites which are being shipped next Monday.

5. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    what do you do with the babies you have?

At least they are making it right!

6. AussieSharon

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Quote:I'm going to a Swap Meet this Saturday so I will take the RIR chicks there and hopefully find them new homes.

7. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Some people are so lucky. I ain't mentioning no names................Sharon. [​IMG]

8. AussieSharon

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Quote:Angela lucky would be 26 free Welsummer chicks!! LOL

9. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

sure you don't want to keep just a couple? I love my RI reds and they are good natured and get that deep mahogany color.

10. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    RIR's are also wonderful layers of lg. brown eggs. I would keep some of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by