Hatchery sexing question

Bolfreak

Crowing
12 Years
Aug 26, 2011
Please opinionate if you feel like it or if you know for a fact! :)
Backstory: ordered 4 straight run Cayuga ducks from a hatchery plus life insurance. 3 arrived dead. One week later 3 replacements arrived including one with a bald patch on its head. Over the course of the next few weeks, baldy’s head grew feathers and was the only duckling of the group (added 2 mallard? ducklings Tractor Supply returns) that would “quack” beyond peeps. It sounded like a sad honk but it did it regularly. A predator since killed all but one Cayuga and one mallard (I think snake and we’re working on trapping and killing it). The first one it killed was my biggest one, the lone survivor of the first order, but it got baldy, too. As I’m considering replacements, the shipment week I’m looking at says female and unsexed are “unavailable”. So I’m going to wait a week until unsexed are available again.
So here’s the question: does the hatchery really sex all the ducklings at hatch and mark them (bald spot), and sometimes throw a female in with mostly males in the unsexed orders? On the price list, males are usually cheaper than females, so I wonder if that’s how they stock their unsexed orders with mostly or all males, knowingly.
Hope the question makes sense 😁 for future planning/orders to just cop for the sexed ones so I know what I’m getting (not 90-100% males yanno)

does the hatchery really sex all the ducklings at hatch and mark them (bald spot), and sometimes throw a female in with mostly males in the unsexed orders?
You might enjoy this Mike Rowe "Dirty Jobs" episode. It is about chicks, not sure how well it applies to ducklings.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0829696/

My experience has been with chicks, not ducks. One time I received 7 pullets out of an order of 7 straight run chicks. The odds of getting 7 out of 7 of the same sex are less than 1 in 100, but that is just odds. If I got 7 out of 7 girls, somebody else got 7 out of 7 boys and are convinced the hatcheries only ship boys as straight run. I've also hatched a lot of eggs. Some hatches are really high on boys, some really high on girls. Over time my hatches average out right at 50-50 but that's over two or more years. Any one year I may get a lot more of one sex or the other.

I've had other straight run orders that were close to 50-50, sometimes more boys and sometimes more girls. But that 7 out of 7 girls convinced me to just order what I want, don't mess with straight run unless I was happy with whatever I got.

You might enjoy this Mike Rowe "Dirty Jobs" episode. It is about chicks, not sure how well it applies to ducklings.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0829696/

My experience has been with chicks, not ducks. One time I received 7 pullets out of an order of 7 straight run chicks. The odds of getting 7 out of 7 of the same sex are less than 1 in 100, but that is just odds. If I got 7 out of 7 girls, somebody else got 7 out of 7 boys and are convinced the hatcheries only ship boys as straight run. I've also hatched a lot of eggs. Some hatches are really high on boys, some really high on girls. Over time my hatches average out right at 50-50 but that's over two or more years. Any one year I may get a lot more of one sex or the other.

I've had other straight run orders that were close to 50-50, sometimes more boys and sometimes more girls. But that 7 out of 7 girls convinced me to just order what I want, don't mess with straight run unless I was happy with whatever I got.
Thanks!! This is good info. I think I did watch this Dirty Jobs years ago because I remember the amount of 💩💩💩 that went into quickly examining chick’s bottoms 🤢 I tried my luck at that, but the duckies were like 2-3 weeks old and wiggly so I didn’t know what I was looking for.
I have an incubator, but the egg turner tray is small for turkey eggs, I have done some but I turn/candle them once a day to make sure they are being turned. I haven’t been successful to hatch any yet (most infertile and one I opened too soon since I didn’t realize the blob I candled was good :( In my turkey book he mentions a 99.5 degree setting results in more females vs 100 degree more males, but I’d love confirmation/proof/disproof.

The bald spot is not how they mark sexes. That sounds more like it lost fuzz when hatching.
So it scalped itself while hatching? Interesting, I did a thorough parasite check and found nothing, plus over time the spot filled in and I could only distinguish it by its honk sound

Back
Top Bottom