hatchery sexing - what's your experience?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ebonykawai, Jan 23, 2008.

1. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll be ordering from Meyer's next month. What's everyone's experience in ordering from them, as far as getting the correct sex? I'd like RIRs and thought I'd order 6 females, to make sure I end up with 5. Am I being paranoid or should I order more? If it seems too complicated, I might end up getting sex links so I can make sure I get all hens. You can't mess those up, right?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've had one hatchery sexing mistake, a Lt Brahma. Bess became Bart and went to live with another family.

3. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    My first order from MM I got all pullets, my second order from MM I got 1 roo, and my order from Meyers I got two. They do a pretty good job with the sexing just don't be surprised if one of them end up being a roo.

4. ebonykawai

Do you think McMurray is better at sexing than Meyer? Or do you think it's just the luck of the draw?

5. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Ya know I couldn't say since I haven't order much from either, personally I prefer MM's quaility birds more than Meyers or Ideals.

6. ebonykawai

I know, and they vaccinate for cocci. I don't think the others do. I'm trying to get some co-workers together on an order so I can order from MM. I can't possibly do 25 myself, lol!

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I haven't ordered from a hatchery in several years, but when I did I ordered from McMurray I always ordered all pullets and very rarely got a rooster.

8. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I haven't ordered from MM, but form Privett and had all pullets. I was told I was luck usually one or two end up being roosters. Human error you gotta love it. Instead of getting them vaccinated for cocci you could just feed them the medicated feed. Mine have done great on it.

9. ebonykawai

I know, but I can't find it here, darn it! I hate to order heavy stuff online, the shipping kills me.

Anyway...I just ordered my babies from Cackle!! 15 RIRs, I'M SO EXCITED!!!! The woman on the phone had me sold. I had only called there to ask a bunch of questions, but she was wonderful! Gave me so much info and was sweet and chatty, I said "This is it!"

[​IMG]

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I had one sexing mistake by McMurray. 1 patridge rock was a roo. He was delicious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by