Hatchery shipping this late in the year?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by secuono, Nov 5, 2010.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Are there any hatcheries that ship a good variety of chicks this late in the year?
    I am hoping to find one with chicks I'd like to get and maybe even find someone to split the order with.
    Please let me know!
    I'm in northern VA, if your interested in splitting the order.

I was hoping one of these places is good.
    Ideal or Welp.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  2. keith_m71

keith_m71 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    South Carolina
    Ideal is a good one, I just ordered 15 Silver sebrights and they sent them along with 10 Barred rocks to help keep them warm for free. They came in yesterday and all were beautiful. They seem to be a very good hatchery...

3. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Don't they send only males to fill up the box for warmth?

4. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    I just received an order from Meyer Hatchery this week: 25 "Delawares". They sent 26: one was a feather carpet upon receiving and another didn't make it through the first day. The remaining 24 are doing famously! [​IMG]

5. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Meyer Hatchery doesn't have anything I'm looking for available now. I'm looking for more of fancy pets, not anything bulk and specific.
    Seems like Ideal or Welp is all I can go with..
    Should I make another thread to find someone to order with me?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  6. firsthouse_mp

firsthouse_mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    I too want a few more chickens laying some eggs come sunny summer time and had been furiously calling around to the feed stores wondering if they had any in stock. I actually only wanted white egg layers, but had a very hard time finding anyone with any breed of day-olds. Today I called and found out that on Monday, Nov 18th, Meyer will have a few Silver Spangled Hamburgs, so I snatched those up. Hope they make it from Ohio to California [​IMG]

I was thinking that this is the perfect time to have some chicks indoors! Five months from now when they are about ready, the weather will be perfect for them to be laying. I went down the list of literally 10-15 breeds and the nice woman in customer service checked every single one of the breeds. The only breed they had was Buff Orpington and Hamburg.

7. jarodw45

jarodw45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Texas
    I ordered from Privett a week ago Delawares, welsummers, and red broilers... all arrived healthy and they sent 2 extra (one Delaware and one boiler). Ideal ships too but their availability is somewhat limited this time of year and if you do not order 25 they will add roo's to make up the difference for warmth. Good luck!

8. Pelican49

Pelican49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Welp hatches and ships year-round. My chicks just turned 3 weeks old and I received 11 different breeds/colors, so they had a good variety available.

9. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Why don't they sex bantams? darn!

10. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Quote:Because their small size makes it too difficult to sex them accurately. Rather than having to refund/replace a bunch of chicks because they sent too many of the wrong gender, hatcheries just offer them straight run so that there are no issues with less than 90% accuracy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by