Hatchery Suggestion

awalters0815

Songster
9 Years
Mar 31, 2010
Plainfield, IN
Hi. I live in Indiana and am intrested in adding a few to my flock. I've never ordered chicks before. What would be the best hatchery to use in your opinion and why?

People here have used all of them. I have ordered from Meyer, had a wonderful experience, and have another order coming from there Tuesday. My Pet Chicken, who also get their birds from Meyer, are running a baby chick sale right now.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Baby-Chick-Sale-c60.aspx

I guess it really depends on how many you want to order. Some hatcheries don't do small orders. (Less than 15 or 25)

Quote:
I agree, if you aren't too fussy about breed or when you get them, check the 10-day weather report for your area and order when it seems as though the weather will be mild. Call the hatchery and see what they can send you in that time frame.

Murray McMurray has always been good to us, but their minimum order is like 25. Good selection and quality birds though...

I used healthy chicks & more. Can't say enough good things about them. They are out of Ohio. I bought 7 Buff Orpingtons, 6 Barred Rocks, 6 GLW & 1 Dark Brahma from them & they all arrived in good health less than 24 hours after being hatched.

Last edited:
I had a great experience with My Pet Chicken. They shipped my 8 chicks overnight. My rural post office was very impressed and said that other hatcheries usually ship Priority Mail instead of Overnight and it usually takes longer to get to us. I was missing 2 chicks and the customer sevice was great. Refunded my money right away(poor hatch). Worth the extra cost in my opinion.

My pet chicken rocks! Get my chickens in one day. Also rather disgruntled with sexing on my latest order, however.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom