Hatchery that sells BLRW?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by WestKnollAmy, Oct 26, 2009.

1. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have looked over most of the hatcheries and do not find one that sells this color. All the hatcheries seem to sell the same colors.

I guess I know why I have a problem keeping my birds. People can't find anything interesting for their backyard at a hatchery. Anything blue seems to sell like mad here. This was just another color in the Wyandotte breed I thought I would offer. The SL and GL are always a hit. But the BLR would be more popular, I would think.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Several of us on BYC sell BLRW hatching eggs if you want to go that route, and turbo and Mrs. Turbo sell BLRW day old chicks.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  3. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I hated to go the egg route since I usually wind up with 7 roos and 1 pullet (if I am that lucky) and nothing else hatches! [​IMG]

I may check into some chicks from turbo and Mrs Turbo. Thanks!

4. chik magnet

chik magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Enid OK
    Ideal poultry sells BLR bantams>

5. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
  6. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    No, I do not want bantams. The eggs are way too small. I like those large to x-large eggs I get from my standard Wyandottes.
    Around here a bantam gets taken by a hawk whereas a standard size is larger than some of the hawks. I own plenty of bantams but they have to be penned too much and I want free rangers for most of the year.

Thanks for the input though.

7. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Quote:BUT the quality is sooo much better!! Murray McMurray sell BLRW, but the quality is not as nice as breeder quality for sure. Maybe advertise on here, see if you can find a breeder near you and buy some pullets or even older hens to get you started and hatch your own.

8. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I am getting an unrelated pair next month and was really hoping to find a few more hens and maybe another roo for breeding. Another reason I hate to go with hatching eggs. Yes, the quality is a lot better from some breeders but eggs always give me lots of roos and maybe one pullet, if I am that lucky.
    McMurray goes the st run route on BLRW. If I had to go that way I would order eggs from a breeder.

9. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    Nadine

You got it mixed up. Wish for just one roo and you won't get a single one.

I have now tried three times to hatch a Saxony male duck and every duck in the first two hatches was a female. I only hatched two from the last hatch and I do believe one is a male but still a little early to tell. [​IMG]

10. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I love the way you think!
    Actually that did happen with my Barnevelders this year since we thought we would try them for meat. I am left with only one that we may try but we hatched mostly pullets and then people wanted to buy the few roos we did hatch. Amazing, isn't it? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by