Hatchery with better quality chicks - please help this dad

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by pricechris, Sep 27, 2011.

1. pricechris

pricechris Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    I need to order some chicks for my daughter to grow our for our county show. I was hoping to use Murray McMurray or Cackle but hey are out. I was thinking about Orpingtons or even Rhode Island Reds. But none of the hatcheries I looked at have any. A week ago many placed did., but i just got my paycheck today. And to top if off someone stole her Blue Orpington she spend on her birthday money on for a show bird. Does anyone have an idea of a hatchery that would sell a better quality chick? I know breeders woudl be better.

Or if you know a breeder that has decent prices, with chicks on hand and would ship chicks I would be game. Even a suggestion of different breed that i could get quality chicks maybe? Please Help this dad help his 12 yr daughter. Thanks in advance.

2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Try checking Stromberg Hatchery as they do have show quality chickens for sale

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Give us a better idea of what part of the country you are in and we'll be better able to possibly find birds for your daughter.

4. pricechris

May 17, 2011
    Deep East Texas - outside of Tyler Tx.

5. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    I have had very good luck with Estes Hatchery in Springfield Mo.

6. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    That's Ideal territory...The hatcheries you listed, did you check online, or call them?

7. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:Could you post a link saying that they sell "show qualtiy" birds ?
    Thanks,

8. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
  9. pricechris

May 17, 2011
    Stromberg's their show birds don't hatch sell till January and are oly hatched every 2 weeks. Our show is in March..... I was told our birds need to be at least 6mo. old. Their RIR say not usable even for 4-h. Not sure on buff.

Ideal is out. And they don't have quality stock.

They over all issue is first finding some available, and then hoping for quality. This is my daughter's first year and we did not know about when to order and when we found out we had to wait for Dad to get paid.

10. pricechris

May 17, 2011
    ck'd online with hatcheries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by