Hatchery wyandottes

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by peep-a-boo, Sep 21, 2012.

1. peep-a-boo

peep-a-boo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I ordered a SLW from MPC. She's about a week and a half now. Her wing and tail feathers are coming in, but I'm not seeing any lacing. Does it come later? Can anyone post pics of their wyandottes that came from a hatchery? I think they are sooooo beautiful. It was half the reason why I chose this breed.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

The lacing will become apparent when they start to feather out on their chest and their back. They change so rapidly at this age that their lacing is not what it will be when fully feathered. I have never owned a SLW younger than 2 weeks, so I can't say with certainty what they should look like at 1.5 weeks. [​IMG] Here is a 3 week old pullet of mine. [​IMG] Here they are at 8 weeks. [​IMG] and at 6 weeks. They feather in much slower than any other breed I have.

3. peep-a-boo

peep-a-boo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Thank you so much! Your SLWs are so beautiful. The wings on your 3 wk old looks like mine at 11 days. I hope it's a sign that mine will be just as stunning.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Thank you :) They are very slow growing. Their bodies are very small. I am not sure yet if they are actual standard sized, though they are supposed to be :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by