hatchery

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by walls0stone3, May 15, 2011.

1. walls0stone3

walls0stone3 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    I don't want to spend $. I think pay'n 3 bucks for a chic when I pay that for a grown bird here is nutts. who has the cheepest meat birds or all roos?

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Welp was $1.55 each delivered for the 65 I ordered.

3. walls0stone3

May 14, 2011
    how about under a buck? I know these places are out there.. I'd even go all white leghorn roos or some such.. (319 acres I'll just pasture them) I know half these big names just post a pic and dirrect ship for a smaller co.

4. Bucky182

Bucky182 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    Nolls Hatchery has all roo's for .60 cents for 100. They sell three kinds, Kosher Kings A barred meat bird I have raised them and they are a good bird, they have a red meat maker and a white meat maker all are 60 cents for 100 birds. They are an Amish or Menonite family in PA and are very honest and nice people. The birds take about 11 weeks to get to 5+ pounds on pasture they have a long Keel breast and nice large thighs and legs.

Also MT-DI offers a red broiler they call the red ranger or freedom ranger for 1.15 for all Roos and 1.05 for st. run I have not raised them but have raised thier Rosambro for the same money. The rosambro is white and has a very nice breast and looks like a little turkey at 10 weeks old when dressed.

Nolls does not have a web site but if you google them you will find thier phone number they also offer RI Reds very cheap. MT-DI has a web site and they also sell CX there too and some good prices on laying hens.

2.00 for a peep is crazy if you ask me. People need to get out and try something else and stop flocking to certain birds like a bug to a light.

5. Bucky182

Dec 1, 2009
    Nolls hatchery phone number is 717-949-3560 I can tell you they send you healty birds and extra's with your order. These are as cheap as you can get a meat bird for anywhere. [​IMG][​IMG] Two dollars for a peep are you crazy!![​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  6. walls0stone3

May 14, 2011
    Great.. I think that was someone I used before. most of these sites are just brokers... look at the pics they all re-use. sure it's the same with seed ect. I'm also into the idea of birds and critters I don't need to baby. kick them out on some scruff ground, and kill a few each week. Close friend of mine has a pen of birds, hens and roos. each friday night he kills 3 or 5. then he has a few supper broody birds that constantly set eggs he puts under them. It's an ever rolling inventory. If I can have such a sustem I'd like to.

7. bt2000

bt2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Quote:any idea as to what the Kosher King is? Large BR? or is it some kind of CX cross?

Also, is that 5lb live weight or processed?

Thanks

8. Bucky182

Dec 1, 2009
    I am honestly not sure what kind of bird the KK really is, it could be some kind of barred rock cross or maybe even a coo-coo-maran. All where barred and some had golden feathers on thier necks or a golden sheen to them, others had more white on the necks. They all tasted great! LOL They ranged anywhere from 4 - 4.5 lbs dressed and that was not pushing them too hard. They are great foragers and would have the grass all gone in a day. At two days old they would chase a grass hopper dropped into the brooder or try to catch a fly buzzing buy them. The grasshoppers died the death of a thousand pecks from the little boogers. LOL

This year I am going to try some of thier red and white birds too.

9. walls0stone3

May 14, 2011
    how fast to KK's finish? I'd like a bird that can live on grass ect, reproduce or worst case, breed.. and still make a nice product that isn't hard and chewy I'd pay a buck ish per bird for that since it would be the last time I'd buy them..

10. Bucky182

Dec 1, 2009
    All I know is what I have told you about them. I figure for 60 cents a bird I cant feed and raise them for that to eat and they are larger than any dual purpose breed you can get. I would imagine they would lay and reproduce just never kept any that long. The skill keeps calling thier name!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by