Hatchery

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by abbygibson1212, Feb 23, 2015.

1. abbygibson1212

abbygibson1212 Chirping

Nov 29, 2014
    Missouri
    I want to order some chicks, but I'm having trouble finding a hatchery that carries all of the kinds that I want. I'm wanting to get Black Copper Maran, Blue Ameraucana, Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, Olive Egger, Lavender Orpington, and Red Laced Black Wyandotte and I need them to be sexed. Does anyone know a hatchery that carries all of these?

I'm also needing to get guineas so itd be a plus if they had those too.

Thanks!

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Often hatcheries sell out of certain breeds very early in the season. It won't help you this year, but next year, you can place your order for the breeds you want as soon as they start accepting orders, and choose your shipping date at the same time. You'll just have to hunt around. I don't think you're going to find a lot of these breeds unless you order from a breeder, and most breeders only specialize in only 1 or 2 breeds.

3. abbygibson1212

abbygibson1212 Chirping

Nov 29, 2014
    Missouri
    @lazy gardener I thought this was early in the season [​IMG]
    When is the best time to look? and how do I go about finding breeders?

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Early in the season is just as soon as hatcheries start taking orders. You can lock your order in then, and have it shipped during a convenient week later in the season. Go to the threads set up for the breeds you are looking for. Ask there. You're at a bio-security risk if you start bringing in birds from multiple sources. Best to find a good hatchery or breeder, and adjust your breeds to match their availability. There's always next year, and the year after. Don't let yourself get so hung up on a specific breed. A hen that looks great on paper, may not actually be your favorite hen. Case in point: I allowed one Pioneer to stay from my meat flock this summer. She's turned out to be my most reliable layer. I never would have chosen a Pioneer meat bird for a layer.

5. dheltzel

dheltzel Crowing

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Look for local breeders, not just big hatcheries. Craigslist is a good starting point, and your state message thread here on BYC (under social - where am I, where are you).

I could give you lots of recommendations if you are in SE PA, but I don't know the breeders in other parts of the country as well.

6. song of joy

song of joy Crowing

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Meyer Hatchery carries all of those breeds, but as most of them are pretty rare, they may be sold out until later in the season (mid-summer). Check their website for availability.

7. abbygibson1212

abbygibson1212 Chirping

Nov 29, 2014
    Missouri
    @dheltzel Do you know anyone in Missouri?

8. dheltzel

dheltzel Crowing

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I don't know any breeders, but I seem to recall that there are several commercial hatcheries there, you could do a google search to find them. If any are close enough to drive, you might be able to get some of the breeds you are looking for and save some money, as well as "wear and tear" on the chicks. I know the hatcheries say chicks ship fine and they do it all the time, but logically, not making them go through the postal service has to be an advantage.

9. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Crowing

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    I can give you the name and number of the breeder I bought my blue americanas from. he also has wheatens and creme legbars... He doesn't sex them though. He does ship, was telling me he has an order to ship to Indiana later this week I think it was.

10. jennyg

jennyg Chirping

Apr 2, 2014
    Haleiwa, HI
    Seems like you have a long list of specialty breeds which might be hard to find them all, especially hatching the same time.
    I got all mine from asagi, I local hatchery. I wasn't set on breeds before we started looking at the hatcheries list.
    I really wanted a polish this time around, but since I already have 2 and 1 yr old birds which includes a very dominant production red, they actually advised me not too. Good luck, Google local hatcheries usually pops right up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by