hatchign eggs - 1st time questions

Discussion in 'Geese' started by 6Happiness, Mar 25, 2011.

1. 6Happiness

6Happiness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    I'm interested in getting some geese via eggs.

Is hatching eggs basically the same process as if I got chicken or duck eggs? (just of course, longer incubation time)

How big are the eggs- will they fit in a mini Brinsea incubator? If not, can I put them under a broody hen, and if so, how many goose eggs would a chicken be able to comfortably sit on?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Sorry that you seem to have gotten ignored...not much action here in the geese forum. [​IMG]

Is hatching eggs basically the same process as if I got chicken or duck eggs? (just of course, longer incubation time)

Hatching goose eggs is similar to duck eggs, both take about the same time. Geese can hatch from day 28 to day 32, sometimes more or less. However, they differ because they take a lot longer to hatch. It is not uncommon for a gosling to be 'pipped' for days before hatching.

How big are the eggs- will they fit in a mini Brinsea incubator?

I've had some goose eggs that were a little bigger than a large duck egg, then I've had some that were the size of at least 2 large duck eggs. It varies by the breed and the age of the goose. I assume you are referring to the 3-egg mini incubators? I don't know for sure, but if you can fit goose eggs in those I'd say the max would be 1.

If not, can I put them under a broody hen, and if so, how many goose eggs would a chicken be able to comfortably sit on?

If you have very large hens you could probably let them sit on 2-3 'small' goose eggs or 1-2 'large' goose eggs. Though personally I don't think I'd let a chicken hen set them, goose eggs are very big.

I would recommend you order a few sexed goslings from a hatchery or breeder and raise them. That way, next year they could hatch their own eggs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by