hatchin chicken eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rhonlan, May 14, 2010.

1. rhonlan

rhonlan New Egg

May 14, 2010
    ohio
    this is my first time hatching chicken eggs and i have 3 that have pipped very small holes and some that are moving and am wondering how long it will take them to hatch any advice or info anyone can offer would be greatly appericated

2. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Well, I've read on here that it could be 15 minutes to several hours, it just depends on the chick. The waiting sure is the hardest part though. Go for a drive or something. Maybe you'll have the first one done when you get back [​IMG]

3. rhonlan

rhonlan New Egg

May 14, 2010
    ohio
    a couple of the eggs have made alittle progress but not much in 10 hours i am hopping they come on with it the waiting is driving me nuts

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    It can take 24 hours from pip to hatch. I had a duckling take 36 hours. It can be nerve wracking staring at the bator.

5. rhonlan

rhonlan New Egg

May 14, 2010
    ohio
    yes it can be nerve racking espically when it is in your bed room

6. biddybird

biddybird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    Takes some awhile. Try not to watch too much, it will drive you crazy. Have fun and hope you have a good hatch!!![​IMG]

7. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one that pipped yesterday morning. All it's done since is make the hole bigger and bigger, about the size of a quarter now. He's still breathing and even peeping now and then. The other 7 chicks that hatched before him have been kicking him around tryin to get him to finish hatching so they can all go in the brooder. [​IMG]

8. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    [​IMG]

9. rhonlan

rhonlan New Egg

May 14, 2010
    ohio
    i have had 2 hatch out of 12 and the first one that pipped has not come out yet he is chirrping away and has pipped a hole smaller then a pencile eraser he is driving me nuts and i wish he would hurry up i have the incabator in my bedroom where the kids can't mess with them so the chirpping is aggervating right now [​IMG]

10. rhonlan

rhonlan New Egg

May 14, 2010
    ohio
    i have had 2 hatch on there owen and this morning my husband had too help 2 out of the shells and 1 has pipped since 7 this morning does anyone know how long it will take all 12 eggs to hatch i am on day 20 of the eggs being in the incabator and know it usually takes 21 days but how many days after the 21st day should i wait after the 21st day to dispose of the unhatched eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by