Hatching! 23 of 28 so far

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NellaBean, Sep 1, 2009.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    It is only day 6 but the incubator was smelling a little wonky and I wanted to check fertility in my own egs that are in there.

Started with 48 eggs [​IMG]

20 shipped brahma eggs
    9 from White Leghorn #1
    8 from White Leghorn #2
    8 from RIR
    3 from brand new layer (first three eggs from her)

The shipped eggs were a mess. A few were half black inside, a bunch were clears, some just looked funky. Only 5 were veining, tossed the others. Pretty sure the wonky smell was coming from them as a couple were really nasty looking.....

The 3 from my brand new layer were all clears. Not surprising as of the two choices, neither will let the rooster do his thing and these were 3 tiny pullet eggs. Tossed those 3.

ALL of the other eggs were veining. 100% of my own eggs other than Ms Brand New Layer were fertile AND developing. My roo is a Jersey Giant and so much bigger than the girls I did not think he would 'make it work'. Obviously he does!

So I still have 30 eggs in the bator. 5 of the brahma eggs, 17 of the Leghorn/Giant eggs and 8 of the RIR/Giant eggs. I am actually almost more excited for my own eggs than the shipped eggs. I want some giant leghorns and giant rir! I think the new layer is the Jersey Giant girl, and I did catch him giving her some 'attention' a day or two ago and accidently broke one of her eggs which was fertile, so hopefully by next incubator batch I can get some Giants out of them.

So exciting! This is my first time setting any of my "own" eggs and to have them ALL be fertile and ALL be developing. I don't count the new girl since she wouldn't let the rooster near her. He gets a raise tomorrow for taking good care of his other girls [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  2. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

then. good luck for your hatching. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Why are so many of your shipped eggs bad?

4. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    This was a pretty gross batch of shipped eggs. I definitely do not plan on buying from them again. I bought them on ebay and although they were packed fine, they were very dirty/sticky. Almost all that were "bad" had some serious BLACK inside the eggs, as though they were already rotting. Pretty sad for day 6, right? My own personal eggs that were from my brand new layer just candled clear, and I pulled clear eggs on day 10 last hatch with no problems, so the shipped eggs had something wrong with them.

I got two batches of shipped eggs last hatch that were in good condition. These were just bad though [​IMG]

5. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Well apparently I can't count....I actually had 6 of the shipped eggs left. And now I have 3. 1 was definitely rotten and the other two were quitters. Of the 3 left, only 1 is definitely still going, the other 2 were iffy.

All 25 of my own eggs are still jamming right along. I am going to candle right before lockdown (at least the 3 shipped eggs, not concerned about my own). I'm on day 14-15 now, I think.

6. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:Just a quick question did you by chance clean the dirty eggs?

7. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I made it to lockdown with 28 eggs total.

3 bought brahma eggs
    9 White Leghorn #1 eggs
    8 White Leghorn #2 eggs
    8 Rhode Island Red eggs

All 25 of my own were covered by my Jersey Giant (black) rooster.

Started hatching last night and so far I have 19 chicks!

2 of the 3 bought eggs have hatched (looks like 1 light brahma, 1 buff)
    6 of the 8 Rhode Island Red eggs have hatched
    11 of the White Leghorn eggs have hatched....not sure which until I get to take a look at the failed eggs to see the markings.

Not bad so far! My hatch rate for my own eggs is around 70%. Not bad for my first batch of my own eggs and on new layers with a newly mature rooster. In a still air LG.

Technically the eggs have just hit 21 days on the dot an hour or two ago......there are a few still zipping and a few pipped also. Not sure if anymore will hatch as they have been working a long time. I am dying to take the chicks out as they are just bowling through the eggs left.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  8. chikmagnet_09

chikmagnet_09 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    Athens, GA
    [​IMG] Congrats on the new arrivals!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Now I have 21 of 28! I had one who was stuck in the shell..looked like it got turned around after starting to zip and then stuck. So I opened it up, took all the others out and busted the shell the rest of the way for it. It's neck/head was stuck bent like a U......hoping it will come around. Couple others are pipped. Hated to open the bator but had to to help the one chick. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the others. Humidity seems okay, but temp dropped as it took some time to get the other 20 chicks out.

[​IMG]

So, 2 brahma chicks, 6 RIR/Giant, 13 WL/Giant. The RIR/Giant are black as expected. The WL/Giant are "yellow" with black spots. Can't wait to see them all grown up!

10. happi752

happi752 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Casa Grande
    ohhhhhhhh how adorable....congrats!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by