Hatching 2nd clutch?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by citygirl7, Jul 11, 2011.

1. citygirl7

citygirl7 New Egg

Jul 11, 2011
    Last fall friends gave us their Easter ducklings that they raised in their backyard, because we have a lake in ours. The male mallard flew away leaving a khaki campbell male and a mallard female (maybe rouen female-she is large). We fed them daily, but never caged them and were very excited when the female started laying eggs and making a nest this spring. When the eggs hatched, she took the 5 babies down to the lake for their first swim. The drake came over-I thought he was coming to greet his new family- and started grabbing the babies by the neck and swinging them around. My children and I freaked out thinking he was going to kill them all. We decided to fence them in until the babies were bigger and put a wading pool in their pen.

When they were about 4 weeks old, we started letting them all out in the lake again. Everymorning the drake would come over and mate with the female as soon as shewas in the water. Then he would start chasing the ducklings.Although they are usually fast enough to get away, the 2 darker ducklings- I think males- have spots on the backs of their necks where he has caught them.

Being new to all this, I have 2 questions. The mallard hen is now sitting on her second nest of eggs. The first babies are now 8 weeks old. She started laying eggs again very soon after the first batch hatched. At first I was taking the eggs, but then she moved her nest sight and I didn't realize it at first. Is it normal to have more than 1 set of ducklings a year? I'm not sure I want that many ducks- if she is going to do this every year!

My second qestion- Is it normal for the drake to be this aggressive and to continue mating even after moulting? I thought the mating season was over! If we have a total of 3 males and 4 females, are we going to have fighting problems next spring? Any info would be helpful. Thanks

[​IMG] 1 day old -one of 2 dark ducklings sitting on mama's back (I think its a male)

[​IMG] 1 day old- the 3 lighter ducklings-I think female

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  2. citygirl7

citygirl7 New Egg

Jul 11, 2011
    Any suggestions?
    Typically how often do female mallards/rouens lay eggs?
    Am I going to be over run with ducks? Anyone in the Atlanta area want some ducklings?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by