Hatching a chick from 2 frizzles.... is this bad???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by teresa-78, Jan 4, 2011.

1. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Hello I have 2 frizzled polish x cochin a hen and a cockeral.... I was planning on keeping them as they are just the most adourable chicks ever, but I have a worry, if I was to hatch eggs from the 2 frizzles will this be to much frizzle (if you understand what I am saying lol) and be bad for the chick, or is it ok??? many thanks in advance... and I hope this thread is in the right place.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  2. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    When breeding you should only use a frizzle feathered over a smooth feathered or vice versa.

Breeding two frizzled birds will produce a percentage of birds with brittle feathers which break easily, these birds usually dont last through their first molt [​IMG]

3. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    i have been looking into this whole frizzle, sizzle, silkie, frazzle dazzle - ness!

from what i have read so far the above poster has it correct - sounds bad - but i really want some of those frizzle dizzles cuz there so cutez!! [​IMG] to get a frizzle you cross a cochin and silkie?? is this right?

4. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Quote:Thats a shame, I will keep the hen as I do have a smooth polish x cochin, but he is not as nice looking as my frizzled cockeral, or do I keep the frizzled male and get a smooth polish to go with him??? decisions decisions. I brought the male polish and a female polish as a pair to breed, but sadly once the female started to molt she looked awful, and sadly died a few weeks back, she looked pure but the cockeral is definatly not, im thinking now she must not have been or was bred with two frizzles, as she was not as stunning in looks as my frizzles... thanks for that information it really helped...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  5. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    in short NO! To get a frizzle you need to breed from a chicken which has the frizzle gene.

A sizzle is a silkie X frizzle

hope that helps..[​IMG]

6. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Quote:To get a frizzle it means either mum or dad where a frizzle as I understand it from the post above, lets say a polish x cochin like mine, mum was a frizzle cochin and dad was a smooth polish or vise versa.

7. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Just remember.... frizzle x frizzle = frazzle.

Too many frizzle genes will cause broken, brittle feathers.

8. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Quote:Hiya thanks I thought I had heard that term before.

9. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    Howdy! I hear your delimma.....I have a brooder full of adorable little frizzle hens and roos. My plan is to have two pens. They can't free range where I am due to dogs, and I have plenty of space so I figure why not? Good luck!

10. TGarcia

TGarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Texas
    I love the frizzles too, but decided against keeping them due to what was said about frizzle+frizzle= frazzled feathers. But they sure are cute!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by