Hatching a duck egg

The Golden Egg5

Chicken OBSESSED
5 Years
Nov 5, 2016
Boone, North Carolina
Hello!
So I have incubated chicken eggs 2 times in the past. Today, a friend of mine gave me one of her duck eggs for me to try to hatch. She had 7 ducks, and unfortunately they were taken about a week ago, so she wants me to try and hatch the final egg that she has from them. Is hatching duck eggs different than chicken eggs? I know the incubaton period is 27 days instead of 21, but other than that?

Actually, it's around 28 days for mallard-derived breeds and 35 days for Muscovy. :) The Learning Center has a lot of helpful information on the topic, if you haven't already found it.

I incubate both poultry and waterfowl eggs, and one of the primary differences is that I think misting and cooling the eggs is important for waterfowl eggs. You can find more about misting and cooling here. Best of luck!

Hello!
So I have incubated chicken eggs 2 times in the past. Today, a friend of mine gave me one of her duck eggs for me to try to hatch. She had 7 ducks, and unfortunately they were taken about a week ago, so she wants me to try and hatch the final egg that she has from them. Is hatching duck eggs different than chicken eggs? I know the incubaton period is 27 days instead of 21, but other than that?
Standard are 28 and Muscovy are 34 days so what breed?

Sorry! That’s right, 28 days. My bad.
It is a white peckin.
So, I’m really hoping it is viable, but there is a super low chance that it will be. The egg is about 10 days old, and it was refrigerated for about a week of that time. I told her that I didn’t think it would be viable, but it’s still worth a shot.

Actually, it's around 28 days for mallard-derived breeds and 35 days for Muscovy. :) The Learning Center has a lot of helpful information on the topic, if you haven't already found it.

I incubate both poultry and waterfowl eggs, and one of the primary differences is that I think misting and cooling the eggs is important for waterfowl eggs. You can find more about misting and cooling here. Best of luck!
Thank you! So, one question. Since my egg is older, should I still cook them? Cooling the egg causes the membrane to contract and the air cell to get larger, but since my egg is older, it has a fairly large aircell already.

Here is a picture of the egg. I drew the air cell on there so you guys can get an idea of the size. Currently the humidity is at 34% and the temperature is settling.

Attachments

• F0A86C47-4FC8-4980-85E6-6427BC58FE17.jpeg
    F0A86C47-4FC8-4980-85E6-6427BC58FE17.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 3
  • DCA9409C-A92A-47A3-8D9C-1E8634B141E8.jpeg
    DCA9409C-A92A-47A3-8D9C-1E8634B141E8.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 3
I just did a quick candle to see if I could see anything, and I saw a little darkish spot on the yolk that wasn’t previously there. I didn’t see any veins. Is this normal for day 5 duck incubation? I am really crossing my fingers that it’s fertile.

Back
Top Bottom