1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HATCHING ACCIDENT - ANY ADVICE!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bittern3918, Jun 17, 2007.

1. bittern3918

bittern3918 New Egg

Jun 17, 2007
    Agggh, after three attempts I finally have three eggs under a broody, due to hatch today. STUPID me had a peak and the hen stepped on an egg cracking it. We could see the live hen inside, and it was moving, but there was a crack all around the shell (but the innrer 'liner' wasn't broken). Is there any chance this will keep hatching or should we remove it from the nest so that it doesn't affect the other two eggs? Many thanks for any advice! karen

2. Napalongtail

Napalongtail Longtail Longtimer

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    Just leave it be. As long as momma stays put keeping it warm it still has a 50/50 chance of hatching normally.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Maybe that egg already peepeped and so the mom stepping on it just cracked it further. Good luck!

4. thechickenwhisperer

thechickenwhisperer Out Of The Brooder

I can understand. I accidently did that myself. My chick died, but I had about 16 or so that did make it. Hopefully it will turn out ok. How many days are left for hatching? Do you hear any chirping from any other eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by