Hatching after a gazillion years away

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ruralhideaway, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    My first hatch in soooo many years, so exciting!

But I'm nervous and need a little help.

One of my eggs shows what could be a huge pip or beginning of a zip? that appeared at the center of the long side of the egg, away from the likely pip location. Thus its on the bottom where the egg is resting. No other pip.

What do I do with that?

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

well.... nothing actually.

When the pip is in an odd spot (not in the air cell) the pip that you see might be the same as the internal pip of a normally positioned chick. Which means, wait way longer than you think you should.

Yes, it is stressfull if the pip is against the floor, but you don't want to loose humidity at such a critical juncture. ... so.... wait.

3. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Ok I guess I knew patience would be the answer. Thank you for the guidance, I'm lacking confidence.

4. Alaskan

it is very frustrating to have to wait when you want to poke and check and help. .... :old

5. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    It is! But just about everytime I go check there's a new pip, enough action to keep me hopeful. Assuming that some of these guys zip successfully this hatchwill be a success.

6. Alaskan

oh good to hear!!!!

:clap :jumpy :jumpy
    (I usually pick a very exciting movie to watch... to keep me from being tempted to open the incubator )

7. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    My first pip was around 10am. No zips yet. I've been trying to stay out of the house because that's a long time for my instant gratification loving self.

8. Alaskan

yes, yes it is.

You should have cute chicks by morning.

Ruralhideaway likes this.
  9. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    :fl

10. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    So for informational purposes, the chick in the central pipped shell hatched fine overnight. The aircell was intact, it never internally pipped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: