Hatching ahead of schedule

slipshift

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 21, 2013
Mtn. View, Arkansas
My chicks are hatching on the 19th day, again. The first batch did the same, 4 on day 19 and 2 more on day 20. Is this OK?
The incubator is home-made from an ice chest, temp varies between 99 and 100, humidity was in the high 40's until lockdown on day 18, then up to high 70's after lockdown. Even though the first batch hatched early they are very healthy and growing like weeds, after a week they are running around outside. Maybe the thermostat is reading too low (I never calibrated it) but I guess the proof is in the pudding, it works for me.

Jim

My chicks are hatching on the 19th day, again. The first batch did the same, 4 on day 19 and 2 more on day 20. Is this OK?
The incubator is home-made from an ice chest, temp varies between 99 and 100, humidity was in the high 40's until lockdown on day 18, then up to high 70's after lockdown. Even though the first batch hatched early they are very healthy and growing like weeds, after a week they are running around outside. Maybe the thermostat is reading too low (I never calibrated it) but I guess the proof is in the pudding, it works for me.

Jim
As long as they are healthy. Mine generally start on day 19 as well. I use an LG 9200 and they are hard to get "just right". Always hatch healthy and I rarely see post-hatch deaths. Congrats on the babies!

I forgot to mention that the eggs are ones I found under a bush. Several of the hens would lay in this spot with various hens setting for a short time. Maybe some of the eggs are further along.

Jim

The egg wouldn't be further along unless there was a dedicated bird brooding on them. If they are bantam eggs 19 into day 20 is exactly right. If large fowl then the proof of pudding is you've hatched early twice. Your about half to full degree too high. No big deal. It's something I'd adjust for but I like to get 100% hatches and that takes calibrating/trial and error of devices. That and non shipped fresh 100% fertile eggs.

Last edited:
Grats on the new peepers!

I have 2 just hatched in the last few hours myself(late day 19/early 20) but I used my expensive parrot brooder and it had more fluctuated temps then I would like but the first few days I had them in my still air reptibator which didnt want to get it over 96 at egg level(and I had to make my own wire shelf) so I used the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom