1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching an egg - Help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kerrie Ann, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Kerrie Ann

Kerrie Ann Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    Hello - I have an egg that was hatching fine until the Mom accidental stepped on it. She started picking at the shell and than I saw a little blood. I picked the egg up to see if it was hurt. I do not think so I think it may have been part of the membrane. I put it back , but Mom seems to be leaving it alone. I took it inside because it was cold. I put it under a heat lamp. What do I do now? it has been at least 3 hours now.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Can you see the chick's beak? Wrap the egg in a damp towel and make sure the chick's beak is clear so it can breathe and try and keep it at a temperature of 99*F or as close as possible to. How far along was it when she stepped on it? Would it be possible for you to post some pics so we can see what's going on?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  3. Kerrie Ann

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    She hatched. Now what?? Can I put her back with Mom? The umbilical cord is off was bleeding a little but stopped. I will try to send pics

4. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That's good news! If you have any antibiotic cream/ointment (one without painkiller) in it, dab a little bit on the navel area first, just as a precaution. Then go tuck her under the hen and keep an eye on her and see how she responds to the chick before leaving her with it.

5. Kerrie Ann

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    I tried to put her underneath her , but she was moving around and eating. She had another chic as well that was born 2 days ago. I did put a heating lamp in their just in case it takes her a while to go to the new chic. Do you think I should worry?

6. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I think it would be better if you look after the chick until it's stronger and then give it to the hen again. Maybe wait until tomorrow morning and take her to the hen when she gets up. Let her hear and see the chick, put the chick down and see how she responds.

7. Kerrie Ann

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    [​IMG]

8. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Oh my goodness, freshly baked! That little one will need to rest and dry off and fluff up now. Wait until tomorrow before giving her to the hen. Hopefully she will be o.k. with it.

9. Kerrie Ann

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    I just went out side and shut the heat lamp off. It is 80 % out. It also looks like the new chic is moving around more. Mom is not near her yet. She is eating. She is looking at her though.

10. Kerrie Ann

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    I went back out side and Mom was not with her. So I brought her back inside. Do you think she will be able to go back with Mom again? Does she need anything at this point other than rest? Water??? Thanks for your help. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by