1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hatching an egg that cracked?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by usfarmchicks, Feb 12, 2013.

1. usfarmchicks

usfarmchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2012
    Baltlmore, MD
    Thought I would pass this along to see if anyone else had ever tried this technique. On day 18 of incubation when it was time to remove the egg turner I accidentally cracked one of the eggs. It was the pointy end and pretty dinged up though no pieces of egg shell fell off and no fluid came out. So figuring I had nothing to lose I put a bit of duct tape on the cracked end and placed it back into the incubator with the other eggs.

Low and behold on day 22 the little bugger hatched. It is the biggest and healthiest of the bunch! This is my first time incubating eggs so having any hatch was exciting but having that little one hatch was truly amazing to me. The chick on the left is the little miracle chick a short time after hatching.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Its ok if the shell cracks aslong as the skin inside the egg dosent break :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by