Hatching and incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BackyardFarmTMC, Mar 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BackyardFarmTMC

BackyardFarmTMC In the Brooder

Mar 29, 2018
    East Tennessee
    I recently bought an incubator and put in 6 of my hens eggs that were fertile. They are the brown speckled eggs. Well my kitten found her way atop the incubator covering the air hole and dried up all the humidity water in bottom. I dont know how long it was like this probaly a day or 2. My question is..if one chick egg was dead. Would all them evwntually die over this lapse in humidity and air? Please help.

2. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Where are you in the incubation process? What kind of incubator, temperature and humidity through incubation? How do you know that one chick is dead, did you candle? Depending on where you are in incubation your eggs might be OK if the lapse was only a day or two, IMHO. But, this could be a problem if you were in lockdown at the time and in the hatching phase.

aart likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Usually covering the air hole will slow evaporation, not increase it.

JesusHChicken and kwhites634 like this.
  4. BackyardFarmTMC

Mar 29, 2018
    East Tennessee
    I have 6 eggs, the temp is 38 celsius, i have applied 100 ml of water in it. The reason i know the egg was dead, is it cracked and stunk. I dont know what caused the cracking.. i assumed it was contributed to the cat on the top. Ive candled the rest. And they are forming well with prominent veins and a great sized fetus or chick. So im going to ride it out and keep a hawk eye on all the elements. And check for that smell every day multiple times.

oregonkat and aart like this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I imagine the crack was from the rotten egg expanding.
    You're lucky you got it out before it exploded.
    Really don't think the kitten had anything to do with it....
    .....but best keep it away from bator.

BackyardFarmTMC and oregonkat like this.
  6. BackyardFarmTMC

Mar 29, 2018
    East Tennessee
    Ok. Thank goodness! Yeah it would have been horrific if it had exploded all over. I almost couldnt handle that little tiny crack leaking. It was bad enough

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Or the crack may have been there and what lead to bacteria getting inside and growing.
    Dd you candle eggs before setting to look for cracks?

Either way, glad you got it out of there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: