1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching and maybe stuck?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cheeky Chickens, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Cheeky Chickens

Cheeky Chickens New Egg

Jul 6, 2015
    Hello! Am very new to incubating, I have got three eggs that are due to be hatching now.

2 of them have pipped but not had any more movement from them, I saw this at 6am this morning so it could of happened anytime from when I went to bed 11pm till 6. Now 3 in the afternoon and nothing. Is this normal?

The last one pipped last night at around 5/6pm, has made a small ish hole and is breathing and occasionally cheering. He had membrane over his beak but that's out the way now (he did it) but I've noticed that's he's blowing bubbles, which as a novice doesn't seem right. Do I intervene? I know you shouldn't. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)))

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Leave them alone. 24 hours is not uncommon. They are absorbing the final bit of yolk that will provide nutrition for the first few days of life.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Often it can take up to 24 hours. I usually check mine around 18 hours to make sure they are positioned and not distressed then leave them until 24. My personal decision is not to let them go past 24 hours without starting and assist. I would say if you haven't, read the assisted hatching guide here in BYC and then you be the judge. Just remember, if you see prominent veining, they aren't ready. Stop and wait it out.

4. Cheeky Chickens

Cheeky Chickens New Egg

Jul 6, 2015
    Thank you Percheron chick and AmyLynn 2374 for you replies, I'll find the assisted hatching and have a read. :)

5. Cheeky Chickens

Cheeky Chickens New Egg

Jul 6, 2015
    So, the first one hatched a few hours ago and the second about an hour ago :))) yay!! Just waiting on the third now! Which I will expect will be out by the morning! Thanks again for everyone's help, after 2 unsuccessful hatches I was naturally a bit aprehnensive!! Xx

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Congrats!

7. Cheeky Chickens

Cheeky Chickens New Egg

Jul 6, 2015
    Thank you!! 3rd hatchling us now out, going to wait a bit before I move them to the brooder :))

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by