Hatching and Raising Bobs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BobwhiteQuailLover, Nov 2, 2010.

1. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Can anyone give me info on bobs?
    Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2010
  2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW HUH?

OK....

DON'T DO IT!

THERE YA GO [​IMG]

3. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    If you're violence-tolerant, and don't mind an extensive (20+ weeks to full-grown) periond, they're the top of the line when it comes to raising a gamebird for food. They're little feathered terrorists behind wire from my experience.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  4. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:What? Just raising and hatching. I am NOT eating them. Why does everyone think they are killers???
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2010
  5. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:What? Just raising and hatching.
    ;D

Hatching is no problem. They're just instinctively a mean bird......at least in captivity, and the pouplation within a given space is one of the main variables in this behavior. I suggest searching this board for Bob behavior, and read.....read.....read. You will see a lot of info that backs my opinion! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:What? Just raising and hatching. I am NOT eating them. Why does everyone think they are killers???
    [​IMG]

WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK THEY ARE KILLERS? UM THAT WOULD BE BECAUSE THEY ARE. THERE ARE SEVERAL OF US HERE WHO DEAL WITH BOBS, EXPERIENCE AND OBSERVATION IS WHERE THIS IDEA COMES FROM. IN MY EXTENSIVE EXPERIENCE THERE IS ONLY 1 SPECES WORSE AND THATS CHUKAR (THIS SEEMS TO BE A GEOGRAPHICAL THING, BUT DOWN SOUTH IN HOT HUMID CLIMATES THEY ARE FEATHERED ASSASSINS) BOBS ARE ONLY SLIGHTLY BEHIND CHUKARS ON THE AGRESSIVE SCALE AND A TAD AHEAD OF RINGNECKS. SORRY KID, BUT THE TRUTH AINT ALWAYS PRETTY.... BUT IT IS STILL THE TRUTH

7. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:What? Just raising and hatching.
    ;D

Hatching is no problem. They're just instinctively a mean bird......at least in captivity, and the pouplation within a given space is one of the main variables in this behavior. I suggest searching this board for Bob behavior, and read.....read.....read. You will see a lot of info that backs my opinion! [​IMG]

My males have killed a few birds......

8. LostinQuailLand

LostinQuailLand Out Of The Brooder

Quote:EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW HUH?

OK....

DON'T DO IT!

THERE YA GO [​IMG]

Now thats one I have to agree with! I started with Bobs in May. My first wonderful batch of fuzz balls. So adorable. So cute. AHHH but I should have listed to the Great GURU of Quail (LOL) JJMR. He warned me that there would be issues. Oh how I didnt beleive him....so cute so adorable. Then the cute things turned into GREMLINS....pecking two to death and then another got bullied so badly I had to seperate them. My second go round (working on my six or seven group now) was CRAZY....The little tiny adorable fuzz balls WERE INSANE...the STRIPES BUNCH OF THE BROODERS...geesh let me tell you that these guys are VIOLENT...lol I even have some five day olds who want to peck me when I try to take their waterer out to be cleaned and refilled.
    But....................................I still continue. Today I have one covey of 21 (n0w, use to be 24) that are about 6 months old, then six brooders, one hatcher with several hatching right now and then another hundred in the bator. Yep Im nuts!!!!!

9. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    We have had our since Jan. and our first batch were pretty NONAGGRESSIVE

10. LostinQuailLand

LostinQuailLand Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]

WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK THEY ARE KILLERS? UM THAT WOULD BE BECAUSE THEY ARE. THERE ARE SEVERAL OF US HERE WHO DEAL WITH BOBS, EXPERIENCE AND OBSERVATION IS WHERE THIS IDEA COMES FROM. IN MY EXTENSIVE EXPERIENCE THERE IS ONLY 1 SPECES WORSE AND THATS CHUKAR (THIS SEEMS TO BE A GEOGRAPHICAL THING, BUT DOWN SOUTH IN HOT HUMID CLIMATES THEY ARE FEATHERED ASSASSINS) BOBS ARE ONLY SLIGHTLY BEHIND CHUKARS ON THE AGRESSIVE SCALE AND A TAD AHEAD OF RINGNECKS. SORRY KID, BUT THE TRUTH AINT ALWAYS PRETTY.... BUT IT IS STILL THE TRUTH

I regret that down south comment being exclusive...lol let me tell you I live in the NORTH and they are GREMLINS...Ok thats a lie...they make the GREMLINS look timid! Stripes watch out!
    Oh and the GURU has never spoken truer words. My question to you Randall is WHY BOBWHITES? I started off with bobs because I am part of a release program. I will be releasing my birds onto our woodland farm in order to hopefully raise the bobwhite count. Now dont get me wrong they are adorable and fuzzy, even cute for the first hour or so.......I had a hatchling drag its sibling off and beat it up...which I hear is very rare.
    [​IMG] So beleive me Im still dealing with issues amongst my bobs.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by